Hockey ends 25-year skid at Boston University with 3-2 win

The Big Green men's hockey team defeated national powerhouse Boston University for the first time in 25 years on Tuesday night. J.T. Wyman '08 scored the game-winning goal for the Big Green with less than two minutes of play remaining, netting his third game-clinching goal of the season.

Wyman cashed in on a late-period break-away as he flipped a backhanded shot into the top of the net with less than two minutes to play to wrap up the victory.

"[Wyman' s] goal was an unbelievable effort, just an individual effort," Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet said. "It was an unbelievable goal."

The 3-2 win marked the first time that Dartmouth (7-8-1, 3-7-1 Ivy) managed to defeat the Terriers since 1982.

Despite being outshot by BU 33-17, the Big Green managed to stay in the game courtesy of 31 saves by goaltender Mike Devine '08.

"Devine made some big saves for us," Gaudet said.

The Big Green was put on its heels by the Terriers' offense in the first period, being outshot 9-3.

The Big Green responded to the Terriers' initial offensive dominance in the second period by increasing pressure on the net, finally clenching the first goal of the game with 14:36 remaining in the period.

Rob Smith '10 battled past two BU defenders early in the second period, skated behind the goal, and swept the puck in behind Terrier goaltender Brett Bennett to give Dartmouth the lead.

Boston University quickly responded and tied the game with a shot tucked between the post and Devine's short side just 52 seconds later.

BU senior Bryan Ewing then pushed the Terriers ahead with a long wrist shot that found the back of the net.

Finally capitalizing on Big Green goal opportunities, John Gibson '09 scored his first goal of the season. After a shot on net rebounded back to his own stick, Gibson's second attempt found the back of the goal over the shoulder of Bennett, tying the game at 2-2.

Matt Reber '11 gave the Big Green a chance to take the lead with less than six minutes left in the third on a break away from the right wing, but Bennett anticipated Reber's post shot and pulled off an impressive sprawling save.

"We did a lot of things really well and played in a tough environment," Gaudet said. "I was really proud of them."

Following confusion that resulted in a nullified offside goal by BU with less than three minutes of play left in the game, Dartmouth finally managed to retake the lead.

With less than two minutes left in play, Wyman picked up a pass from Nick Johnson '08 off a restart, skated towards the far post and buried a backhanded shot for the game-winning goal. The goal was Wyman's 11th of the season.

"It was a pretty tough game. They were all over us for a bit, and we stuck with it, scored a few timely goals," Johnson said. "We came out with a tough road win."

Gaudet took the win in stride, focusing instead on the remainder of the season.

"What we do is take the positives of this game and hopefully build off those," Gaudet said "but you move on to the next game very quickly."

The Big Green will return to the ice to face No. 5 University of New Hampshire on Jan. 19.