Toe to Toe (Schmidley)

Salary levels in professional sports have undergone an absolutely meteoric rise over the last quarter century. Since the turn of the century, the NFL and MLB's highest payrolls have risen by $73 and $97 million, respectively.

So, in light of these developments, Hodes and I decided on a column debating whether or not A-Rod was worth the $350 million the former Yankee recently requested. In today's day and age, fans have developed a robust cynicism towards highly paid professional athletes -- a trend that's not surprising given that die-hard fans are, and always will be, on the outside looking in.

Their pessimism isn't warranted, however. There exists an insatiable appetite for everything "sports" in American society. Stadiums are getting bigger, players are becoming more and more athletic, and the demand for sports analysis is growing very quickly. In short, the sports industry's popularity is expanding exponentially. As a result, professional athletes, particularly the premier athletes in each sport, will be compensated more and more handsomely.

So, should the Yankees have shelled out the dough to keep A-Rod playing in pinstripes? The answer, unquestionably, is yes. The superstar's time with the Yankees has been characterized by (mostly) stellar play, a lack of Yankee team success, and a highly acrimonious, trying relationship with New York media outlets, particularly the censorious Post.

Certainly, the Yankees lack of success since obtaining the oft-maligned A-Rod has been disappointing, and there's no denying that his post-season performances have been pedestrian. But there are three clear-cut reasons why A-rod should have been resigned.

First of all, he's a lock to be considered one of the 10 best professional baseball players of all time, and having him on the Yankees would only have added to their already rich tradition as one of the premier organizations in sports history. Regardless of whether or not A-Rod would have brought the World Series title back to New York by the end of his tenure, the fact that he would have been a Yankee makes $350 million worth it.

Secondly, A-Rod defines the term "marketable" -- he's suave, he's articulate, and he's damn good. His presence on a roster works wonders for team recognition and popularity. Whatever team that is lucky enough to land A-Rod will instantly gain an invaluable commercial boost.

Thirdly, as I stated just a paragraph ago, he's damn good. I'll admit, his asking price was quite steep -- unprecedented, in fact. But, as we all know, A-Rod is a transcendent talent. His stat line from the 2007 season, standing alone, was jaw-dropping. In light of the context and circumstances, it's mind-boggling. A-Rod's 2006 campaign was characterized by underperformance and a frustrating lack of production in key situations. He was the subject of a continuous stream of criticism in the New York media. He responded in 2007 by clubbing 54 homeruns and taking home MVP honors. His performance in the postseason again left something to be desired, but he did smack a key round-tripper, and any respectable fan knows that blaming A-Rod for the Yankees' postseason woes is ridiculous.

To sum it up, A-Rod, like any other athlete, has his flaws. Postseason success has eluded him at times, and his asking price, like I said, borders on the absurd. As the 2007 season proved, though, we had better not doubt him. Whatever MLB squad is lucky enough to land his services will be getting the best baseball player of this generation and one of the most saleable athletes of all time.