The Quiet American Campus

Although Veterans Day was Sunday, Monday is the official day of observance. What's this? Yet another national holiday which Dartmouth does not observe, but which prevents you from going to the bank? At some level, Veterans Day is just another holiday, but its meaning is much deeper than that.

We at Dartmouth are very privileged. Most of you are aware of this fact, but when situated in what we commonly call the "Dartmouth bubble," it is easy to forget not only about our own privilege, but also about those whose sacrifices ensure that we have the ability to be so lucky.

As many others have written, it is easy to zone out the outside world when at Dartmouth, whether because of school obligations or because your greatest concern is what you will do this weekend. I'm not saying that none of us realize there is a war going on in Iraq (and other places) right now. I am saying that many forget those who serve in the armed forces. Most, if not all, of us support the troops (or at least we say we do), but how many of us actually reflect on those who serve and realize the immense sacrifices they make daily in order to protect our way of life? In honor of Veterans Day, I'm asking you to reflect and be thankful that there were and are young men and women volunteering to go to war so that we ourselves don't have to.

I can say from personal experience that the life of a soldier is not easy. It is a constant sacrifice to serve in the military. However, I would never change my decision to enlist after high school. Although I am not a veteran of a foreign war, I was on active duty for two years and have many friends who are currently fighting in Iraq. There is one reason I am at Dartmouth today: I traded the four years after graduation in which I will return to the Army for these four years at Dartmouth in ROTC. This was only possible because the Army had enough volunteers to allow me to wait four years until I complete my service. While in the United States, soldiers face weeks in training (out of contact with friends and family), constant physical and mental stress, long hours and the task of maintaining proficiency in a number of skill sets. On top of all this, they are sent to foreign countries to fight wars in the heat of deserts, the cold of mountains and everything inbetween. They make sacrifices each day that are greater than those that many of us will make in a lifetime.

While average soldiers won't think of you or me as they fight, the sacrifices they make indirectly allow us to be here at Dartmouth. They make sacrifices so that the American way of life can be protected and preserved. When they enlist or are commissioned in the military, the oath they swear is to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Their allegiance to duty is not political. It transcends politics. Wars come and go, but national defense is an eternal necessity. Although each individual soldier has his own reason for joining -- whether it is for money, a sense of obligation or personal betterment -- they all swear the same oath.

Where is Dartmouth's sense of duty and honor? There are a few who will serve when they graduate, but not many. Our ROTC program is floundering. Our military is the world's best, but it cannot sustain itself unless some of the best students serve. The Army will not pay as well as a good first job with a Dartmouth degree, but at what price do you value your ability to live in America?

This is not a recruiting piece; I will be the first to say that the military is not for everyone. But how will you know it's not for you if you never consider it?

It is easy to say that you support the troops, but it is an injustice to the American soldier if you merely give lip service. In order to truly support the troops, you need to realize what they are willing to give up. Ultimately they are willing to lay down their lives for their duty. Honor them. It's only a day late; take a minute and thank the veterans in your life. You couldn't be here without them.