Dartmouth football falls in a high-octane horse race at Brown

The Brown Bears jumped ahead of the Big Green at the end of the second quarter in Saturday's match.

The Bears' (4-5, 3-3 Ivy) offense was led almost single-handedly by WR Bobby Sewall. Sewall caught 18 passes for 141 yards, had 15 carries for 154 yards and four scores, and even threw a touchdown pass.

"He's a good athlete and a good player," Teevens said after the game. "He's productive for them; they mixed him up and had him run the ball a little bit, and they hadn't shown that before, so he was productive and a good football player."

Despite Sewall's success on the ground, averaging over 10 yards per carry, Brown opted to throw on over two-thirds of its plays. Junior QB Michael Dougherty was an impressive 41 for 50 for 403 yards and a touchdown.

"Defensively, we weren't able to shut down a pretty potent offense," Teevens said.

For Dartmouth (3-6, 3-3 Ivy), it was never a question of getting things done on offense, but instead a question of keeping up with Brown. Tom Bennewitz '08 and Milan Williams '09 both logged impressive performances but were overshadowed by the Bears on the field and on the scoreboard.

Bennewitz was 28 for 38 for 312 yards and two TDs. Williams averaged 8.1 yards per carry on the day, and rushed for 97 yards. He was tackled for loss only once. For Williams, it was his most successful game since the season opener against Colgate.

"[Williams] is doing some nice things for us," Teevens said. "We play three running backs with decent regularity but it's nice to get him back and healthy."

Dartmouth opened the scoring early with two quick strikes in the first seven minutes of play to grab a 14-0 lead. Brown fumbled the opening kickoff and Dartmouth began the game deep in the red zone. Williams set up a one-yard touchdown run by Ryan Mahoney '08.

The Big Green struck again on its next drive when Williams broke a 42-yard run to the Brown 17. A 10-yard completion to Brian Evans set up a score for Williams and the early lead for Dartmouth.

The Bears responded with four straight touchdowns to close out the first half. Dougherty ran one in himself to put Brown on the board in the first quarter, and Sewall scored his first TD of the day early in the second with a one-yard run that knotted the game at 14-14.

The score stayed tied through the second quarter as the teams exchanged punts, before the Bears came alive in the final minute of the half. Bobby Farnham caught a 46-yard pass to give Brown a 21-14 lead with 46 seconds left. On the first play of the ensuing Dartmouth drive, Frank Nuzzo forced Williams to fumble, setting up another 41-yard touchdown pass to Farnham, giving the Bears a two-score lead at the break.

Dartmouth responded early in the third quarter with a nine-yard run by Nate Servis '09 to cap off the opening drive of the second half and cut Brown's lead to seven, but the Bears weren't finished yet.

Sewall showed his effectiveness in goal-line situations and finished off Brown's next two drives with short touchdown scores, putting the Bears ahead by 21. The teams traded scores through the fourth quarter, but the Big Green defense was unable to stop the Brown offensive machine long enough to cut into their lead.

The Bears kept scoring right down to the final whistle. Tyler Rowly scored the final touchdown of the day with 45 seconds remaining to push the game into record-setting territory as the highest scoring contest in series history.

The loss also secured Dartmouth's winless record on the road. The Big Green will look to continue a three-game home win streak with the season finale Saturday, Nov. 17, against Princeton.