Daily Debriefing

The Dartmouth Skiway recently finished the first two phases of major renovation to its facilities. The new improvements include the construction of almost 1,400 feet of safety netting on the giant slalom course, tree removal, enlargement of trails, expansion of the area's snowmaking system and re-grading of skiways. The changes, initiated by a request from Skiway general manager Doug Holler and Dartmouth men's alpine ski coach Peter Dodge, will put the race course in-line with the safety requirements of the International Ski Federation. The Dartmouth Skiway is the host of several NCAA ski races and the College's annual Winter Carnival alpine ski races.

Two unnamed parents who object to the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance filed suit against the Hanover School Board and Dresden School Board on behalf of their three children on Oct. 31. According to the Valley News, the suit claims that the phrase "under God" in the pledge allows for a "societal environment where prejudice against atheists ... is perpetuated." The couple's lawyer, Michael Newdow, who is also a minister and emergency room physician, has worked for several years to remove the religious reference from the pledge. The New Hampshire School Patriot Act, passed by the state legislature in 2002, mandates that schools set aside a time for the Pledge of Allegiance, but does not mandate student participation.

Parents concerned about recent recalls of toys from China now have a report to guide their purchases. In a report published Nov. 19, Tuck Business School professor M. Eric Johnson said that parents can avoid the recalled toys by buying traditional board games and toys, which are more likely to be manufactured in America. "They're the toys people remember when they were kids," Johnson said in a statement. "A lot of old niche toys are still made in the U.S. and Europe typically because the volumes are low." In addition, Johnson suggests that parents avoid electronic toys, many of which have components produced in China.