Wright: U.S. needs new GI bill for vets

"[I]n the midst of the debate over troop levels, exit strategies, and assessment of the war's progress, we have lost sight of the men and women who are fighting this war," College President James Wright wrote in an op-ed column published in the Boston Globe Saturday. In the op-ed, he focused on the need for a reincarnation of the 1944 GI Bill that funded college education of World War II veterans.

In an interview with The Dartmouth, Wright further explained his position, saying that not enough attention is being paid to veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He decided to take a proactive role by joining the national discussion facilitated by Virginia Democrats Sen. Jim Webb and Rep. Robert Scott, who have proposed a new GI Bill.

"The United States made a major investment after World War II to implement the current bill," Wright said. "That generation made a tremendous difference in American life, culture, politics, and society."

Not all Americans, however, are in favor of revamping the current GI bill and the representatives' proposals have elicited some backlash.

"There has been some pushback because it is a major financial investment," said Wright. "People from the military are also concerned if it becomes too attractive there will not be as many soldiers reenlisting."

Wright said that while he realizes the American people are considering a huge undertaking with the possibility of a new bill, there are holes in the current one that must be fixed.

"Right now, the money isn't adequate," he said. "The current GI Bill doesn't benefit the National Guard and Reserve [forces] in the same way it does other active members of the military. These groups, however, have been asked to play a major war-zone role, so it is a national obligation and opportunity to show our appreciation."

As a former Marine, Wright is no stranger to the issues surrounding the GI Bill.

"I enlisted in the Marines in 1957," said Wright. "When I got back, I went to college and graduate school [without a GI bill]. Congress then passed a peacetime GI bill that was extended in Vietnam to members of my generation. This was very important and the extra $100 to $200 helped me pay for graduate school."

Wright said that if he could pen a GI bill it would be similar to the one Webb is proposing.

"We need a fuller cost of education," he said. "At the moment, military personnel must invest money from their check to be eligible. This shouldn't be a requirement. The amount provided should be greater to meet the cost of education and to people serving in the National Guard and the reserves."

According to Wright, there is also a benefit to colleges across the country if a new bill is implemented. He said that making a college education more available for veterans would help to diversify college campuses.

"Colleges benefit from diverse range and experience," said Wright. "Veterans bring a specific set of experiences. There is a lot of debate about war and peace on college campuses. People who have served in the military can bring a relevant perspective that others can't. The more background on campus the better."

Wright said he has no intention of going to Washington and lobbying, but he will continue to speak out on the issue.