Women's soccer plays to overtime stalemate with BU

In a rare non-conference weekday match-up, the Big Green women's soccer team traveled to Boston, Mass., and fought to a hard-earned 1-1 tie against Boston University in double overtime, just two days after defeating Yale.

Although the score suggests that the contest was mostly a defensive struggle, both outfits showed plenty of offense as the Big Green and the Terriers combined for 26 shots.

The tie brings the Big Green's record to 3-7-1 overall, while the Terriers are now 5-5-2. This was only Dartmouth's second overtime game, and the Big Green is 0-1-1 this year in extra time. With the tie, the all-time series record between the two teams is now 6-3-3, in favor of Dartmouth.

Co-captain Anne Stanley '08 commented on the difficulties of playing games on the weekdays.

"Sometimes it can be tough, and it's definitely easier to [play] without classes," Stanley said. "Most of us took three classes in the morning and left right after 12s, but when it comes time for the game you have to push everything away and just focus."

In the beginning of the contest, it was Boston University that came out looking strong, as the Terriers controlled possession with strong play from their midfielders.

BU got on the board in the 40th minute when sophomore Mara Osher passed to classmate Casey Brown. Brown then got away from the Big Green defense and created some space to take a shot, a low zinger into the far corner, that gave her side the 1-0 advantage.

Although Dartmouth was playing on one day's rest, Stanley said that the team's excellent physical condition allowed them to stay strong.

"Our team's fitness level is very high," Stanley said. "It was tough playing on short rest, but the entire team stepped up. We kept talking about how Yale felt further away than just two days ago."

Coming out of the gates in the second half, the Big Green women showed no signs of fatigue. The back line played solid defense, not allowing the Terriers any good looks on goal.

Dartmouth was instantly rewarded for putting the heat on the Terriers backline in the 56th minute when Kelsey Quick '10 made a well-timed run into the box and slipped the ball right past BU goalkeeper Christina Reuter near the left post. This was Quick's first goal of her collegiate career.

The Big Green had an opportunity to leave with a victory late in the game, but Reuter was up to the challenge. Dartmouth's best chance came when Caitlin McDonald '09 very nearly had the game-wining goal with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, but Reuter came up with a huge save to take it into overtime.

Both goalkeepers were certainly on their games, as each made key saves to keep their respective sides in the contest. Amanda Webb '08 made five saves on the day, as her counterpart, Reuter, had six.

Overall, Stanley was satisfied with the team's effort.

"We started off really strong but at the end of the first half we lost it a little bit," Stanley said. "In the second half and in overtime, we were able to come back and we really brought it to them."

Dartmouth will next play on Saturday, Oct. 13, when the team travels to the University of Pennsylvania to take on the 8-2-1 Quakers. The Quakers are also 2-0 in Ivy League action.

Stanley said that the team hopes to continue improving upon its performances.

"We're really going to work on us possessing the ball more, and use the past two games as stepping stones," Stanley said. "We need to work on team defense, because it's been good but it's something we can't forget about."