Women's golf concludes fall season as men prep for ECACs

Men's golf will look to conclude the fall season in style this weekend at the ECAC Championships at Shelter Harbor Golf Club in Charlestown, R.I.

Although the men's team finished fourth, the players thought they could have performed better, especially on the first day of the competition.

"We didn't play great, but held it together and had a very respectable finish" captain Jamie Wallace '08 said. "We were 10th after the first round but had a solid second day and were able to jump six spots in tough, windy, firm conditions."

The team finished with 602 strokes between the five golfers for the two rounds of play. The tournament champion, Texas Christian University, finished with a 573.

Although it may not have lived up to its potential this weekend, the men's team played well enough to defeat four out of five Ivy League rivals participating in the invitational: Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and Brown. As a result, there is reason to be optimistic about the team's Ivy League chances.

Individually, freshman star Davis Mullany '11 led the Big Green with a pair of 73s and a ninth-place finish overall. Although Mullany had a strong finish on a tough course, he felt he that could have played much better.

"Even though I did not hit the ball very well, I scrambled for the two days and kept the rounds from getting away from me," Mullany said.

Rob Henley '09 and Dave Putney '10 also had strong individual rounds. Henley finished one back of Mullany with a 147 overall tying him for 15th place.

Putney had a two-day total of 151 and tied for 33rd place. His other team members, Wallace and Shunsuke Aonuma '10, shot 158 and 171, respectively.

On the women's side, the Big Green played well throughout the ECAC Championships, but had an especially strong team round on the second day.

Led again by Lauren Strickler '09, the team finished with a combined 641.

Strickler was happy with her team's result.

"This weekend we played our best golf as a team," Strickler said. "315, which we shot on the second day, was our most solid performance of the fall. We can definitely carry that momentum into the spring season, which is the most crucial time being that that is when we play the Ivy League Championship."

Strickler and Tory Sheppard '09 had particularly impressive weekends individually. Strickler finished ninth overall with a total score of 155.

"Overall, I've played probably my best golf at Dartmouth these past three weeks, this tournament being my best score," Strickler said.

Sheppard finished tied for 18th with a score of 158 and Captain Elizabeth Dupuy '08 finished just four strokes behind her tied for 32nd with a total of 162.

In addition, freshman Katie Gulemi '11 and Yolanda Lin '11 shot 166 and 176, respectively.

The ECAC Championship concludes the women's fall golf season, while the Big Green men look forward to teeing off at next weekend's ECAC Championship at Shelter Harbor Golf Club in Charlestown, R.I.