Dartmouth sailing finds mixed results across New England

Big Green sailing squads could not capitalize on the momentum of strong finishes in the Captain Hurst Bowl.

In the A division, Ben Sampson '08 and Betsy Bryant '08 sailed well to a fifth place finish. Veteran Luke Hathaway '08 and sophomore Sarah Freihofer '10 also found a way to sail into a fifth place finish in the B division. The steady winds and cool temperatures played into the hands of Big Green sailors who finished slightly behind first place Boston College and second place MIT.

The success of two weekends ago did not end with the home regatta, as Dartmouth also sent sailors to the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Big Green athletes put forth a strong performance, claiming a sixth place finish. Newcomer Ed Jude '11 and Steph Gagnon '10 finished ninth in the A division, only one place behind Yale. The greatest success came in the B division where Benjamin Bier '10 and Tess Korndorf '11 came in third.

However, the inspiration from the notable results of the weekend of Oct. 13 did not completely carry through to this past weekend's sailing action. Dartmouth sent competitors to Brown University to race in the Sherman Hoyt Trophy, where light breezes characterized the regatta. Dartmouth struggled, finishing 16th out of 18. Sampson and Bryant palced in the middle of the pack in the A division. Meanwhile, Hathaway and Friehofer had a difficult weekend in the B division.

Dartmouth sailors also traveled to the Stu Nelson Regatta at Connecticut College where they garnered mediocre results finishing in tenth out of a field of 18. Shifting winds and a couple of protest and disqualifications defined the race. Becca Dellenbaugh '10 and Sarah Johnston '09 finished eighth in the ten races of the A division. Kendall Reiley '09 and Courtney Gerwin '11 finished in 11th place in the 10 races of the B division.

"These past two weekends have been like a rollercoaster ride," Bier said. "The other weekend at home, we sailed so well. People were saying, 'who are these guys?' I've known all season that when at our best, we can compete with anyone."

"This fall season is really long and grueling," Matt Cohen '10 said. "It almost seems as though it never ends, so I am not too worried about this past weekend's poorer performance. We have shown that we can easily bounce back and take top-five finishes."

The team is looking forward to proving itself this coming weekend at MIT and Harvard. The team has seen intermittent success throughout this long fall season and would like to string a couple of good weekends together before the winter off-season.

Veteran Andrew Geffken '08 is confident in his team's ability and its prospects this coming weekend.

"I'm looking forward to this weekend and bouncing back strong from the last couple of regattas," he said.