Daily Debriefing

The Dirt Cowboy Cafe recently posted a public apology in their restaurant concerning the use of cup sleeves which some considered offensive. The sleeves contained an advertisement for the new Smooth Bra by Maidenform that featured two photographs of women wearing black and nude colored bras. The apology promised not to allow such advertisements in the future but stated that the Dirt Cowboy would continue using the sleeves until they run out. "We have a few cases of these that can't be sent back and shouldn't be wasted," the apology said. Cafe owner Thomas Guerra declined to comment.

Eleven women have died from the Gardacil vaccine that combats the Human Papiloma Virus, according to NewsTarget.com. HPV has been linked to the development of cervical cancer. Two people, both of whom died from blood clots related to the injection, were only 12 and 19. HPV reseracher Diane Harper said that the vaccine is not meant for young girls and that the vaccine's possible side effects are not yet fully known. Side effects that have been reported so far include paralysis, seizures and pregnancy defects. Studies show that only 1 percent of women with HPV actually contract cervical cancer.

Ernest Herbert, a creative writing professor at Dartmouth, spoke at Plymouth State University on Sunday about several of his books. He is currently introducing a new book focusing on a character named Jack Landry, a book that represents an alternate reality in which Herbert spends his life working in a textile mill rather than entering the academic world. Most of his books have been set in New Hampshire, where he grew up.

Another noose was anonymously given to a black New York educator yesterday, The New York Times reported. Tyona Washington, principal of Canarsie High School in Brooklyn, received a package at the school that contained a noose and a racially charged letter. About two weeks ago, Dr. Madonna Constantine, a black professor at Columbia's Teachers College, found a noose tied to her office door. Authorities at the high school say they will cooperate with police to the fullest.