Big Green field hockey drops overtime heartbreaker at Yale

by Kevin Liao | 10/8/07 10:17pm

Dartmouth held Yale scoreless through 84 minutes of play on Saturday, only to lose in the second overtime.
by Asafu Suzuki / The Dartmouth

Going into Saturday's match-up against Yale (4-5, 1-2 Ivy), the main question for the Dartmouth field hockey team was whether the Big Green could muster 70 full minutes of intensive play. The team delivered, not for just 70 minutes but 85 minutes and 34 seconds of a scoreless game. But the Bulldogs were able to sneak out a victory just 35 seconds into the second overtime, and the Big Green dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker to fall to 2-7 on the season and 1-3 in Ivy League play.

Once again, the Dartmouth defense was tested right from the start. The Bulldogs fired five shots and three penalty corners in the first eight minutes of the game. Unlike in previous contests, though, the Big Green defense was able to make the stops needed to keep the game scoreless in the first half.

Dartmouth received brilliant defense from goalkeeper Jordan Sedlacek '09, who had six of her career-high 13 stops in the first half. The fact that the Bulldogs outshot the Big Green 23-14 overall, had an 8-6 edge in penalty corners and were still shut out for 85 minutes was a testament to Sedlacek's performance throughout the afternoon.

Sedlacek was also proud of how the team played as a whole.

"In the past few games we have struggled to maintain our intensity for the full 70 minutes, but today we really put it all out there for every minute we were on the field," Sedlacek said.

On offense, the Big Green had a couple of crucial scoring opportunities late in the first half. At one point, captain Whitney Waugh '08 managed three consecutive shots on goal, but Yale goalkeeper Charlotte Goins was able to make a trifecta of stops.

The two goalies continued to be the story in the second half. Sedlacek was determined to keep the Big Green in the game and saved seven more shots. Goins was able to match Sedlacek by allowing nothing to pass.

Midway through the second half, Yale midfielder Katie Contore earned a penalty stroke, but Sedlacek was able to keep the ball out yet again, preserving the tie at a critical juncture in the game.

Despite the disappointing loss, Head Coach Amy Fowler was still very pleased with the team's effort.

"We executed the majority of our game plan, and we battled the entire game, including both OTs," Fowler said. "For the first time this season, we played hard and with consistency for the entire match. The difference was that we did not score and Yale did. The goalies at each end both had excellent games."

While the shots did not fall in the Big Green's favor at the end of the day, the team finally has something to build on. Attacking and finishing will be the focus over the next week, as the Big Green stills needs to find a way to turn more shots into goals.

This Wednesday, the team is set to return home and host in-state rival UNH for a 6 p.m. start, one of three home games this week. The match-ups are part of a lengthy home stint for the team, and Fowler hopes that the Dartmouth community will come out this week to support the team.

"Our previous home games were played prior to classes so it would be fun to have a great showing of fan support now that classes are back in session," Fowler said.

Advertise your student group in The Dartmouth for free!