Ivy League Football Preview: Dartmouth

Last season Dartmouth featured the lowest-scoring offense in the League, and the second-worst in offensive yards. Milan Williams '09 has taken over the role of starting tailback in a large way, putting up 179 yards in the opener against Colgate, and Tom Bennewitz '08 will again take the helm of the Big Green offense. He started last season at QB before being sidelined for the majority of the year with a chest injury in the opening game against Colgate. Bennewitz has good mobility out of the pocket, and will be working with strong returning receivers, especially at the tight end position.

On defense, Dartmouth is returning ten of eleven starters from last year, but the pass rush remains an important concern.

"That's the biggest question right now; we need to generate a pass rush," Head Coach Buddy Teevens said on Tuesday. "We have been ineffective in that area in the last two weeks, and that puts great strain on the secondary. The thing I'm pleased with is that our guys tackle well; we run much better."

The secondary looks to be Dartmouth's strongest area on defense, returning all four starters and anchored by strong safety Ian Wilson '08, who was second team All-Ivy last season. Dartmouth also beefed up at the linebacker position, adding depth as well as returning several key starters. Linebacker Justin Cottrell '08 led the team in tackles last year and tied for the lead in passes defended while earning All-Ivy honors. He is joined by two returning starters, and a lot of fresh blood in the sophomore class.

The Big Green commences its Ivy League schedule on Saturday against Penn. Kickoff is at noon at Memorial Field.