Football, now 0-2, falls to UNH

The Big Green tallied 31 points but dropped an eighth consecutive Granite Bowl at in-state rival New Hampshire.

Michael Boyle returned the opening kickoff 91 yards for a New Hampshire touchdown and the #10 Wildcats never looked back.

Dartmouth has not won the Granite Bowl, the name given to the match-up between the in-state rivals, since its inception in 2000.

Quarterback Ricky Santos passed for 199 yards and two touchdowns as the Dartmouth pass rush was largely ineffective against the New Hampshire offensive line. Santos holds the Colonial Athletic Association records for both touchdowns and completions.

Starting QB Tom Bennewitz '08 completed 14 of 27 passes for two touchdowns. QB Alex Jenny '10 also threw for a score, and RB Julian Collins '08 connected with Phil Galligan '09 on an option pass to open the scoring for Dartmouth.

"[Bennewitz] is throwing well, just operating efficiently offensively, and he improves week to week," Head Coach Buddy Teevens said.

A seven-yard strike from Bennewitz to Eric Paul '09 brought Dartmouth within a touchdown early in the second quarter. However, a late drive in the first half, followed by two quick scores 1:44 apart early in the third quarter gave the Wildcats a 45-17 lead that the Big Green would not be able to overcome.

Players took Dartmouth's 31 points against a team who shut them out last season as a positive step forward.

Milan Williams '09 attributed the progress being made on offense to players becoming more familiar with the Teevens' coaching style.

"We all understand the system right now," Williams said. "We know what to do in certain situations and we all have experience. It makes for a better offensive team as a whole. We haven't had that in the past couple years."

Timmy McManus '11 earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors for his offensive performance at quarterback and wide receiver. McManus ran for 45 yards, caught two passes and completed one pass.

"He's very productive, can play a variety of positions, and we'll use him in all of them," Teevens said of the freshman.

Tenth-ranked New Hampshire is the highest ranked team facing an Ivy League school this season.

"The two games we had were tough; they were probably the toughest [among teams] in our league," Williams said. "We're really confident as far as that goes because we know we can hang with any Ivy League team and we know we can win any game."