Board chairman wins fraternity award

Charles
Charles

Sigma Phi Epsilon national organization recognized Haldeman with the Sigma Phi Epsilon Citation Award. The honor generally pays homage to professional achievement, but was bestowed upon Haldeman for his high moral character and his commitment to honesty and fairness, in addition to his distinguished career.

Archer L. Yeats III, Grand President of the fraternity, said that Haldeman's commitment to establishing trust in the workplace and giving back to the community were bases for his commendation.

In response to the notification of the award, Haldeman said that the simple desire to be honest and fair among those with whom he works has gone a long way throughout his career.

"I don't think I did anything special," he said. "I've tried to be as open and transparent with all the people I deal with, whether they're employees or clients. Just being open and transparent and available is the way that you, over a long period of time, develop trust with people."

Haldeman is among 241 of nearly 300,000 fraternity alumni and one of only six members of the Dartmouth chapter of the organization, New Hamphire Alpha to receive the citation since its inception in 1965.

Past recipients from the College have included Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel '25 and March of Dimes president Basil O'Connor '12.

"It is hard for me to feel that I was deserving of it, given the stature of those ... individuals," Haldeman said. "What the award said, the reason they gave it to me, was success that I have in business and the investment business and some of the charitable board work that I've done, including being on the Dartmouth board."

Haldeman was notified of the citation in June and he and his family immediately made plans to attend the Sigma Phi Epsilon conclave in Georgia this month.

Haldeman, who was president of the College's Sig Ep chapter his senior year, said that he tries to stop by the fraternity house often and meet the current members.

He noted that on occasion he has spoken to current members about his experiences in business and about topics relating to Dartmouth.

"We are extremely privileged to have one of our brothers receive such a great award from national," Kevin Scully '09, summer president of Sig Ep, said. "Mr. Haldeman has done some amazing things and is a great role model for all of our brothers and the whole Dartmouth community .... Every time he walks in through our front door, it's a great honor for us."

Scully added that several members of the Dartmouth chapter traveled to Atlanta for the conclave to both honor Haldeman and receive their fifth consecutive Buchanan Cup, which the chapter won in recognition for its continued excellence.

Scully echoed Haldeman's sentiments of lifelong friendships developed through the fraternity as one of Sig Ep's greatest benefits.

"It is a really great mix of guys and a place to challenge yourself both in a fun way and to become a better person," Scully said.

Other recipients of this year's citation include James T. Conway, commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps; Fred L. Turner, chair and CEO of McDonald's Corporation; and D. Travis Engen, the former chair of Alcan, Inc.