Daily Debriefing

A thunderstorm ripped through Hanover Monday afternoon, felling two trees on the side of the Green. Hanover Police and firefighters were called to remove the trees at 1:48 p.m. and at 3:04 p.m. they returned to campus when a fire alarm went off in Wilder Hall after water leaked into a smoke detector. Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said that the storm caused "sporadic" damage throughout the area but that, compared to previous storms, he did not consider this one to be particularly severe. Grafton County, which includes Hanover, remained on a severe thunderstorm watch until 5:00 p.m. Additional thunderstorms were expected Monday night, Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday throughout the day.

Dartmouth's Big Green Bus broke down outside Denver, Colo., on Sunday when students were on their way to meet with legislators in the state's capital, the Rocky Mountain News reported Monday. They arrived at the meeting late, in the group's Volkswagon Jetta, which also runs on vegetable oil. The bus' progress has been covered regularly in the Rocky Mountain News and featured in the Denver Post. The breakdown was caused by a leak in the fuel injector and was probably due to general wear and tear on the bus, which is nine years old. According to Chris Barth '08, the breakdown is not expected to disrupt the bus' itinerary. Repairs should be completed in a few days, and in the meantime, the Dartmouth students will continue on to Telluride, Colo., in the Jetta.

A newly-formed organization of alumni calling itself the 1891 Society placed an advertisement in The Dartmouth on Friday, July 6, which threatened to withhold donations to Dartmouth if the Board of Trustees or the College administration "violates, abridges or dilutes the 1891 agreement mandating an equivalent number of Charter Trustees and Alumni Trustees on the College's Board." The ad -- which was paid for with a check from Western Union -- was sent to The Dartmouth from Boerne, Texas, through United Parcel Service with a return address obscured by black marker. According to UPS, the package was sent by Texas resident Robert Reed '49. Reed would not elaborate on the composition or size of the Society, although he said "a growing number" of alumni is becoming involved in the group. "A group of people who are fed up with the machinations of the administration of their college ... decided to try and do something about it," he said. Reed would not comment on whether any sitting trustees are part of the organization, which was formed "a few months ago."