Treasury secretary Hank Paulson '68 to give keynote speech

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Jr. '68 will address the Class of 2007.

Paulson said he plans to speak on the benefits of a liberal arts education and the importance of public service, while providing a little career advice along the way.

"The benefits of service go not only to society, but also those who actively get involved in supporting causes and efforts they care deeply about," he said.

With respect to Dartmouth, Paulson believes the College prepared him "very well."

"For a good number of years I hired very strong students from all over the world," Paulson said. "I believe that liberal arts students from the U.S., where you learn to think, to question conventional wisdom and express yourself is a great preparation for any career."

During his time at Dartmouth, Paulson majored in English, recalling having "spent some great times in Sanborn library."

"I enjoyed my classes," he said. "I would say at least when I went to school I had a great deal of enthusiasm about my classes " they were relatively small and there were good relationships with the faculty."

Outside of the classroom, Paulson played football, earning All Ivy, All East and honorable mention All American honors. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Green Key Society and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

"One of the high points was my sophomore year when I played on the Lambert Trophy winning team and we went down and beat Princeton at Palmer stadium when both teams were undefeated," he said.

After Dartmouth, Paulson went on to earn an MBA from Harvard University and then served as staff assistant to the assistant secretary of defense at the Pentagon from 1970 to 1972. On the White House Domestic Council, he served as Staff Assistant to the President from 1972 to 1973. Joining Goldman Sachs in 1974, Paulson became CEO and Chairman in 1999. He was nominated by President George W. Bush to serve as Secretary of the Treasury in 2006.

Paulson also served as chair of the Nature Conservancy Board of Governors from 2004 to 2006, an indication of one of the secretary's passions: the environment.

"I have always been attracted to wild, beautiful places and the outdoors," Paulson said. "It is one of the reasons that I chose Dartmouth. It reinforced my very early love of being in wilderness areas. As my life progressed, my interest evolved from not only wanting to be in beautiful places, but also wanting to preserve them."

His interest in the environment stands out in the Bush cabinet as he advocates more efforts to decrease the extent of global warming.

"I would say that in terms of global warming, I believe very strongly that it is a major issue and I am also very supportive of dealing with this on a global basis," he said. "Only by engaging all of the major carbon emitters will we come to a solution."

Paulson's daughter, Amanda, is a 1997 graduate of the College.