Daily Debriefing

A survey directed by the Tuck School of Business, Executive Education at Dartmouth, Fortune 500 consultant Cali Yost and international market staffing firm Aquent, found that while employees often take time off from their jobs for personal or professional reasons, many businesses find it difficult to adapt to a temporary change in the employee roster. In surveying hiring managers and workers, researchers found that only 36 percent of businesses will recruit employees who are currently taking time off, and 34 percent of businesses will recruit workers who desire flexibility in their job schedule. According to a Tuck press release, those who evaluated the surveys agree that the culture of the American workforce must become more flexible for employees who want to take time off, and employees who are currently out of the workforce should learn skills and make connections that will make them more appealing to businesses when looking for re-employment.

The annual Phi Delta Alpha fraternity Block Party, held May 18, raised almost $7,000 for the humanitarian engineering group at Thayer School of Engineering, HELP Worldwide. This is the first year that the event has raised money for a charity. Brad Fierstein '06, a member of the Thayer group and Phi Delt, who organized the party for the past three years, said he thought the block party would be a good opportunity for his engineering organization to make money and get more exposure on the Dartmouth campus. Programming Board and Student Activities covered the costs of the party to ensure that all of the money raised from the sale of Green Key T-shirts and tickets for activities such as the dunk tank would go directly to the humanitarian group. Residents in Lebanon also donated money to cover the costs of the performing band's hotel rooms. Fierstein said he hopes that in the future, contribution to the block party will expand to include more Greek houses and campus organizations. "I think we've established a good foundation and proved that it is a definite and profitable fundraising source," he said.

Noah Schneiderman '98 was appointed to the position of chief financial officer of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston earlier this month. Schneiderman will manage the $10 million annual budget and $98 million endowment of the museum, which displays international works of art ranging in date from ancient Rome to the 19th century. Schneiderman's responsibilities also include assessing the costs of the plan for a new building, computing fundraising goals and overseeing the earnings of the museum gift store and cafe. Schneiderman graduated from Dartmouth with a dual degree in studio art and geography and received two master's degrees from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in real estate development and city planning. Schneiderman has worked at the museum since April.