Ben True '08 sets his sights on the four-minute mile mark

Less than two months ago, Ben True '08 crossed the finish line fourth in the men's 20-kilometer classical technique race to help the Big Green win the NCAA Skiing Championships for the first time in 31 years.

In addition to helping Dartmouth secure the Championship title, True also secured himself All-American honors for the second time in skiing. For True, however, All-American honors are commonplace. During his sophomore year, True led the Big Green cross-country squad to the Ivy Title and won the individual crown. He then went on to earn All-American honors at the NCAA cross-country championships. This fall True became Dartmouth's first repeat winner of the Heptagonal title since 1984.

Being a three-season athlete puts True at a disadvantage at the beginning of each season.

"Running hurts him at the onset of the ski season," said Michael Sinnott '07, captain of the nordic ski team. "He is physically weaker, technically underdeveloped, and his overall fitness is generally lower after running."

True, however, has proven he has the ability to overcome this initial deficit.

"He has shown impressive capability in adapting to the sport differences. After about a month, he has offset most of the initial disadvantages," Sinnott said. "So at the end of the season, he is just falling into ideal fitness when other people may be worn down."

True's experience in running is evident in his Nordic racing.

"The running has made him one of the smarter racers I've ever met," Sinnott said. "He is patient, adept to attacks and pace change and explosive when he needs to be."

Having conquered cross-country and skiing in the fall and winter, True concentrates on track in the spring. Last spring, True won the Ivy Title in the 1,500 and took second in the 5,000. He qualified for the NCAA regional meet and placed second to advance to the NCAA championships in yet another sport.

"He is also one of the most competitive people I've ever seen," Glen Randall '09 said. "It doesn't matter if it's running, skiing, video games -- he wants to beat people very badly."

At 3:44.17, True holds the second fastest 1,500 meter time in Dartmouth history. Last spring at the Penn Relays, True raced the best race of his life when he ran the anchor leg of the distance relay in 3:57.7, leading his team to a school record.

On Saturday, True made his second appearance at the Penn Relays. True's time of 4:05.66 placed him third in the Olympic Development mile behind Villanova graduate Jason Jabaut (4:02.77), who was running for the Carrboro Athletic Club, and Felix Kibioywo of Auburn (4:03.97). True's mile this Saturday was the fifth fastest ever run by a Dartmouth student.

Despite the remarkable times and lists of honors, True doesn't consider himself a fast runner.

"To be honest, I still don't believe I am fast," True said. "I am always looking up, as soon as I hit one level of competition and start doing well, there is always a step above with faster people doing better things and I always strive to improve and make that next jump. Maybe if I won a world championships, gold in the Olympics or a world record I might consider myself fast, but even then, there [are] always ways to improve and another step you can take."

This outlook contributes to True's speed but also detracts from his own appreciation of his accomplishments.

"Sadly, I am never happy or content with my performances and always wanting more," True said.

True entered this track season with his eye on the sub-four-minute mile.

"I knew it was an achievable goal when 53 years ago, Roger Bannister became the first person to break it. If he could do it, and others, then I knew it was possible and it is just determination and perseverance from there," True said of his lofty goal.

True started running in the third grade after joining a local recreational program for the summer, and he started racing competitively in the sixth grade.

"I remember the first time I ran under six minutes for the mile. It was my second time ever running it. I believe it was the summer after my fifth grade," True said.

True's preparation, however, began before the third grade.

"I don't remember if I was always the first kid picked for tag, but I do remember constantly running around as a little kid," True said.

Although starting competitive running in sixth grade, True didn't begin competitive skiing until his freshman year of high school.

In 2003, True represented New England in the Foot Locker High School Cross Country Championships and finished in fifth place with a time of 15:02, seven seconds off the winning time. The Foot Locker Championship is a 5k race held annually in San Diego that determines the best high school cross-country runner in the country.

When racing, True generally aims to clear his mind completely.

"I try not to think about anything when I race," True said. "You need to focus on the task at hand. You can only race well when you stop using your brain and just get out there and get your body to take over."

"Ben isn't fast," Sinnott joked. "He can't even run a sub-four-minute mile. What makes him mildly above average in speed is his competitiveness and intelligence. The kid hates to lose and is never content with his race; there is always something to do better. As far as intelligence, I mentioned what a smart racer he is. If he's feeling bad, he can drag a race down to keep himself in the hunt. If he has a weak point, he fights to make everyone too tired to exploit it."