LCD Soundsystem gets serious with new dance-rock album

James Murphy, the man behind the band LCD Soundsystem, has balanced his music career between embracing and debasing the hipster lifestyle.

Those who obliged already know that they made a good decision.

"Sound of Silver" is LCD Soundsystem's second full-length album release following the band's self-titled debut in 2005. Since then, the first album has sold 62,000 copies over the course of its shelf life, but never reached a high position on the charts because of its staggered sales. Murphy asked his fan base to buy the new album in its first week of release in an attempt to grab a high chart position. But his ultimate goal was more press.

"We are literally just asking people point blank to buy my record because I want a good chart position," Murphy explained in a February Billboard interview. In numerous other media outlets, Murphy has described the request as a "sociological experiment."

When sales numbers come out on Thursday, the experiment's results will be clear. Until then, "Sound of Silver" will surely be enjoyed by devoted fans and Soundsystem virgins alike. The album contains nine songs, all enjoyable, all remarkably well-produced -- a fusion of rock and dance music that's original, catchy and easily accessible.

Murphy began his career as a DJ, known as Death From Above (DFA). While gaining fame from remixing famous songs by artists such as Gorillaz, Justin Timberlake and Nine Inch Nails, Murphy formed LCD Soundsystem, a one-man dance punk band. His unique hybrid of dance, rock, disco and pop sensibilities earned him two Grammy nominations and a tight following of devotees.

On the new album, "Someone Great" is the standout -- it's a sorrowful dance piece unlike anything else Murphy has ever done. His vocals express extreme regret and despair, while xylophone-like noises twinkle in the background. Despite its mournful undertones, the song's emotional depth and sincerity signal a step forward from Murphy's characteristically cynical themes.

"All My Friends" boasts a hypnotic repetition reminiscent of New Order or the Velvet Underground. It's driving and melodic, smooth and soulful.

"North American Scum" stands out as a fun, silly single that's more representative of conventional LCD Soundsystem fare. In parts, Murphy screams and squeals like a bad Prince impersonator, with hilarious effect. Lyrics like "New York's the greatest if you can get someone to pay your rent" are scattered throughout, conveying effortless irreverence.

Toward the end of the album, Murphy's drone on "Sound of Silver" brings to mind David Bowie or David Byrne. He employs his trademark delivery here by not singing; he just talks throughout the song. Murphy murmurs moody commentary through seven minutes of a increasingly complex dance loop. Lines like "Makes you want to feel like a teenager/until you remember the feelings of a real live emotional teenager/then you think again" pop up throughout the entire album; sometimes it's unclear if he means to be blatantly derogatory or sincerely confessional. That's Murphy, though -- his complicated layers of irony are a huge part of why he's so mesmerizing.

After hearing Murphy actually sing through "Someone Great" and "All My Friends," his spoken word deadpan drawl seems more lazy than humorous, but since it's his typical style, it's difficult to hold it against him. His anti-hipster lyrics maintain their irony and outrageousness, however, and some of his statements are laugh-out-loud brilliant.

The last song on the album, "New York, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down," seems as sincere as the earlier solemn songs, but it's less dance and more old-school rock. The single is less emotionally moving than "Someone Great" and "All my Friends," but it's still mostly successful in its execution. The song is an honest ballad to New York City and its simultaneously frustrating and alluring qualities. Certain lyrics perfectly convey a specific view of the culturally glorified city, like, "New York, you're perfect, oh please don't change a thing/your mild billionaire mayor's now convinced he's a king/and so the boring collect/I mean all disrespect/in the neighborhood bars I'd once dreamt I would drink." The song is both loving and disparaging, but Murphy makes his true feelings clear with lines like "... but you're still the one pool where I'd happily drown."

"Sound of Silver" may or may not hit the top spot on the Billboard charts this week, but whether or not Murphy's plea pays off, LCD Soundsystem should gain attention and fame for its sophomore opus. His most successful venture yet, Murphy's unique electronic production sets the stage for both surprisingly genuine confessions and hilarious anti-hipster probes.