Ex-dean organizes Calif. book project

Sorting through handwritten commentary on wrinkled pieces of notebook paper, former 2008 Class Dean Carolynne Krusi '99 helps fifth graders in an Oakland, Calif., classroom organize their thoughts on such tough topics as death, puberty and fear -- all for a "kid-friendly" book due for publication in May.

Krusi, who left the College at the end of Winter term, bid farewell to the members of the Class of 2008 in a BlitzMail message.

"Having encouraged many Dartmouth students over the years to follow their hearts, take risks and pursue their passions, I am letting you know that I will be leaving at the end of this term to pursue a passion of my own," Krusi said. "I have a wonderful opportunity to work on a grant-funded project to give voice to young adolescents whose voices might not otherwise be heard."

Krusi is joined in her endeavor by two high-school students: her son Iffer Beisswenger, and his friend Margaret Eldred, who together co-authored a similar book in 2003 in which they shared their adolescent viewpoints on topics of interest to their age group, including popularity, homework and privileges. Krusi edited the book, which was titled "The Way We See Things."

"Although the authors could only speak from their own limited perspectives, the book turned out to be a useful vehicle to start dialogues between kids and the adults in their lives," Krusi said over e-mail to The Dartmouth.

Jill Reese, a fifth-grade teacher at Kaiser Elementary School in Oakland, Calif., and a childhood neighbor of Krusi's, read the book to her class.

"In spite of the very different environment in which they live, it was interesting how many of the students related to the issues that the book covered, such as puberty, parents, embarrassing moments and advice that they have heard too much," Krusi said.

Reese discussed the book with Krusi over lunch this summer and the two decided to begin a new project publishing the opinions of Reese's students.

Unlike "The Way We See Things," the new book will be comprised of quotes from 29 children in a racially diverse setting ranging in age from 10 to 12 years old. Over half the students in the elementary school are black and less than 30 percent are white.

"The comments were often touching and heartwarming, occasionally frightening and sad. I was struck by how important it is that these voices be heard," Krusi said.

The book is intended to foster dialogue between adolescents and their parents.

"This book, written by kids, will give adults a window into their hearts and minds, and hopefully open doors to many important conversations between students, parents and teachers," Krusi said. "It will provide insight into the ideas, feelings, hopes and fears of a diverse group of pre-teens."

According to Reese, Krusi spearheaded the project. Krusi recently visited the elementary school for a week with her son, his friend Margaret Eldred and Margaret's mother Heidi. The four of them worked as editors, helping the students brainstorm and phrase their ideas in a clear, readable manner.

"The students absolutely adored it," Reese said about their time working on the project in the classroom. "[Krusi is] enthusiastic, and she's an outstanding teacher so her interaction with the students has been completely positive."

Krusi said that she has taken some of her favorite aspects of her former job at the College with her to this project.

"One of the things that I have loved about my work at Dartmouth was the chance to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and create opportunities for them to see the world through each other's eyes," Krusi said.

"That is what this book is about in many ways, a chance for grown-ups to see the world through kids' eyes, and a chance for kids from around the country to better understand the perspectives of a diverse group of kids from Oakland."