Underage, Hanover High partygoers hit up frat row

Nate Mathis '10 was walking with his friend towards Webster Ave. one weekday around 5 p.m. when he was approached by two 16-year-olds who "asked if they could score some weed," he explained.

"I laughed it off and said 'Sorry, no.'"

Such frat row encounters with teenagers are rare, but a portion of Hanover High School students defy curfew, brave fraternity parties, and risk possible rejection from fraternity houses and punishment from their parents.

And it's no wonder fraternities try to keep high school students outside; College and town officials stated that Dartmouth fraternities expose themselves to legal liabilities by admitting them.

Several current high school students -- who did not want to be named because of the sensitive nature of this subject -- estimated that approximately one-third of Hanover High's current senior class has visited a fraternity. Five to 10 seniors go out regularly, one student said.

"It depends on the time of day," the student said. "If it is early, fraternities wouldn't allow it, but if it is later on it would be acceptable."

The apparent freedom with which high school students can enter Greek organizations has led to several brushes with the law. In October 2006, Hanover Police placed a 15-year-old male and a 16-year-old male into protective custody after they were stopped by Safety and Security coming out of Zeta Psi fraternity. Both individuals smelled of marijuana, according to Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone, although the students argued that they were just exposed to the smoke. One of the individuals was charged because he was underage and in possession of tobacco products.

Giaccone clarified, however, that Hanover Police respond to "just a handful of cases a year" involving high school students and the College Greek system.

"We continuously over the years have encouraged the fraternal organizations to make sure they make a good effort to keep high school students out," Giaccone said. "Some do a good job and others will let the females in but not the males."

The College has also tried to convey this message to members of the Greek system.

"Organizations could be charged with facilitating underage drinking, which is a misdemeanor," College Proctor and Director of Safety and Security Harry Kinne said. "We really encourage organizations to call us if there is someone trying to get in who they feel is a high school student."

While Kinne said that he is not aware of many recent instances when Safety and Security independently intervened in situations involving unaffiliated students at Greek organizations, he "can think of several instances where the organization itself called Safety and Security."

"In my experience, community organizations really understand the problems with having younger people in a fraternity or sorority party and therefore have called for assistance in turning people away at the door," Kinne said. "I think traditionally Colleges have been an attractive nuisance to high school students who feel that they can gain alcohol or entrance to a party."

Kinne explained that non-College students often pose a greater risk to fraternities because they lack a concrete connection to the College and "therefore don't have the same respect for people's facilities or other things on the College campus."

"Dartmouth students have a vested interest in Dartmouth culture and Dartmouth rules and regulations," he said. "But they are connected to the organization, and people from the outside, whether or not they are high school students, don't have the same connection."

Hanover High School officials also recognize the danger of having younger students at College parties.

"I have heard that [high school attendance at fraternity parties] takes place but I have not heard of any students specifically," said Chris Seibel, student assistance counselor for Hanover High School. "We just don't think it is an appropriate venue for a high school kid to be in."

Several of the Greek organizations contacted by the Dartmouth confirmed having substantive policies to keep high school students out of their respective buildings.

"It's our policy to strictly check Dartmouth IDs at the front door of registered events," Harris Chung '07, president of Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, said in an e-mail.

"If they don't have one, they don't get in," he said. "We haven't had any problems with Hanover High School students at parties, but a few times a year, we have had problems with them sneaking in on off-nights, but once we recognize them to be underage and non-Dartmouth, we politely ask them to leave."