Meningitis blamed in UNH student's death

The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services confirmed Thursday that the death of a University of New Hampshire student was caused by bacterial meningitis, an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. The 21-year-old woman from Bangor, Maine, died Wednesday.

According to Dr. John Turco, director of Health Services, there has not been a case of confirmed bacterial meningitis at Dartmouth for nearly five years. The last meningococcal death occurred in 1999.

"I don't think that students need to be freaked out by the fact that it occurred at UNH. But instead, they should be aware," he said.

Because meningitis is spread through close contact such as kissing and sharing drinks, the Health Department has been working with other state health departments to find anyone infected.

"I certainly hope it underscores the importance of practicing good hygiene by avoiding sharing utensils, water bottles and food. We hope everyone takes these steps to protect themselves from bacterial meningitis and many other diseases," DHHS Commissioner John Stephen said.

Sophomore JT Buzanga said that he wasn't nervous about going back to school.

"It's a little nerve-racking because of what meningitis is, but you can't think it's going to happen to you," Buzanga said.

DHHS has identified and contacted 29 people who need to receive medication.

"We don't believe that there is any danger to the public at large." Stephen said. "We are hopeful that we have found all of those who might have come into close contact with this young woman and given them the appropriate treatment to protect them.

In a statement, UNH -- which for several years has encouraged students to get vaccinated -- said they will educate students about the disease upon their return from winter break Jan. 16. The University's health service offers the vaccine to eligible students for a fee ranging from $116 to $130.

Dartmouth Health Services recommends the vaccination for incoming students in its annual summer mailing, but does not require the vaccine, priced on-campus at about $65, for matriculation to the College. Turco said it needn't be required because 75 to 80 percent of students at the College have been vaccinated, a number that continues to grow.

According to Turco, meningitis affects small groups of two or three at a time. He suggested that even though the chances of contracting meningitis are low, students who display symptoms should take precautionary measures by going to Dick's House.