Daily Debriefing

Dr. James Weinstein, an orthopedic surgeon at Dartmouth Medical School, was featured Thursday in a New York Times fitness article, "When It's O.K. to Run Hurt." The article focused on the recovery methods and advice physicians offer to patients with sports-related injuries. In the past, it was advised that resting was the best way to heal a sports injury but such advice is said to be outdated and many times can even prolong the recovery process if the injury is not too severe. A person recovering from a sports injury should exercise at a slower level or try different types of exercise like cross-training. Weinstein recommends his patients take an anti-inflammatory pill like aspirin before they exercise and ice the spot before and after working out, though advice differs from physician to physician.

Hungry football fanatics craving Dartmouth Dining Services food are in luck this year. Come Superbowl Sunday, students will be able to order from the Hop's Courtyard Cafe sushi, five-foot-long subs, nachos, hot wings, and chili by the gallon. This new program came about recently when Doreen Blake, manager of the Courtyard Cafe, was working this past Sunday during the NFL playoffs and thought that "[DDS] could do something for Superbowl Sunday so kids could bring food back to their dorms." On the days leading up to the Superbowl, fans will have the chance to pre-order sushi platters and subs and on Superbowl Sunday or order in-house specials to go. The DDS program could become annual, depending on its popularity this year.

Esther Elizabeth Reed was recently identified as having conned her way into some of the top schools in the nation. Reed, 28, lied her way into Columbia University as a graduate student under the stolen identity of Brooke Henson. But the real Henson, a South Carolina native, has been missing since 1999. Reed's scam was uncovered after a potential employer researched Brooke Henson online and realized the she had been missing since 1999. The police have been contacted, but Reed disappeared. This isn't the first time Reed has assumed a false identity; she was accepted to Harvard University and California State University under other false identities. "Reed's an incredibly smart and sophisticated con woman," police investigator Jon Campbell told the New York Post Jan. 8. "She's is an excellent impostor to the point of being pathological." Police do not believe Reed's motive is financial.