Daily Debriefing

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger selected Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Eric Taylor '84 as a possible appointee to the state Court of Appeals. Taylor, president of the California Judges Association from 2003 to 2004, was in private practice with Pettit & Martin and Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal prior to beginning his nine-year tenure presiding over the court. After leaving private practice, he served as deputy county counsel for Los Angeles until 1998, when Governor Pete Wilson appointed him to the Inglewood Municipal Court. Taylor rose to the Superior Court in 2000. Taylor received his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1988.

Penwest Pharmaceuticals, a Connecticut-based speciality pharmaceutical company focusing on diseases of the nervous system, has announced the appointment of David Meeker '77 to its Board of Directors. After graduating from Dartmouth, Meeker attended the University of Vermont Medical School and received postdoctoral training in internal medicine from Boston University, Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. Currently, Meeker is president of the business unit of Lysosomal Storage Diseases, a subsidiary of the prominent biotech company Genzyme. "We believe his considerable experience in drug development will be invaluable as Penwest continues to advance its product pipeline," Paul Freiman, chairman of the Penwest Board, said in a statement, "The Board and management team look forward to benefiting from Dr. Meeker's knowledge and expertise in clinical development and regulatory strategy as we move forward to grow Penwest."

Thomas Holzel '63 joined the Board of Directors of Advance Display Technologies, a subsidiary of Advance Nanotech, Inc. Advance Display, formed in August of 2006, specializes in displays and plastic electronics. Holzel, who majored in economics at Dartmouth, was previously the vice president of PixTech and is the founder of Velocity Associates, a company specializing in the strategic positioning of startup companies. He has worked for a range of technology companies including IBM, Raytheon and Sony.