Big Green weekend athletics roundup

Men's Basketball falls to Colgate

Despite a second-half surge, the men's basketball team (0-3) lost its home opener to Colgate 55-43 Saturday afternoon.

Trailing 25-20 at the half, the team managed to knot up the score with just over 15 minutes remaining in the second stanza, but was unable to keep pace with the Raiders thereafter. Dartmouth went six minutes without recording a field goal later in the half to help Colgate amass a double-digit lead.

Alex Barnett '09 led the Big Green with 12 points in the game, and also grabbed three rebounds. A full game story will be included in tomorrow's issue of The Dartmouth.

Women's hockey sweeps opponents on the road

The women's hockey team completed a weekend sweep with a 5-1 victory over Brown on Saturday. A night earlier, the team survived a scare at Yale, coming back from two goals down to win in thrilling fashion, 4-3

With Saturday's win, the Big Green improves to 7-1 in the ECACHL, and a perfect 3-0 against Ivy League opponents. Dartmouth is tied for second-place with Harvard, three points behind first-place Princeton.

Gillian Apps '06 scored her team-leading 11th goal against Brown, while Sarah Parsons '10 had two assists and one score on the weekend, making her point total 15 for the season.

Sailing ranked first in the country

The coed sailing team has finished its fall season ranked No. 1 in the country after winning the ACC dinghy championship last weekend. Prior to the victory, the team was ranked sixth. Dartmouth won last weekend's championship by a convincing 29-point margin, as All-Americans Eric Storck '07 and Killarney Loufek '07 won the 'A' division by a staggering 17 points. The duo finished in the top three of seven of the regatta's nine races.

Squash teams host annual Classic

Both the men's and women's squash teams hosted the annual Dartmouth Fall Classic this weekend. The men's team defeated the Naval Academy, Colby, Bates and Connecticut College in the first two days of the tournament, while the women experienced similar success, beating Tufts, Bates and Connecticut College.

Swim teams drop home meets

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams each suffered losses in their home pool over the weekend in their final action of 2006, as the men fell to Navy and Brown and the women also lost to the Bears.

While both the men's defeats were lopsided, the women's team came close to topping Brown largely because of the efforts of captain Melissa Kern '07. Competing in four events, the senior came in first place in three of them, as the team lost 162.5-137.5.

Unable to pick up any first place points in 13 total events on Saturday, the Dartmouth men lost 194-48 to Brown and 199-43 to Navy.

Women's hoopsters lose to nationally-ranked opponent

The Dartmouth women's basketball team, picked to finish second in the Ivy League this season, dropped its second game of the season 79-49 against No. 15 Vanderbilt (3-0) on Saturday in Nashville, Tenn.

The women in green gained an early 5-1 advantage, their biggest lead of the game, before the Commodores caught up with a 17-2 run. Dartmouth trailed for the remainder of the game and ultimately, due to struggles in free throw shooting and costly turnovers, fell to 0-2 on the season.

The Big Green completed only 56 percent of its free throw attempts in the game and turned the ball over 14 times in the first stanza alone.

Dartmouth runners make All-Northeastern team

Three Dartmouth runners -- Steve Mucchetti '08, Glenn Randall '09 and Ben True '08 -- made the Division I All-Northeast team last Wednesday after finishing in the top 25 of their regional NCAA meet.

True, an All-America honoree last season, led the way for Dartmouth with a third place finish at regionals while Mucchetti and Randall came in 13th and 24th in the meet respectively.

True, a Two-time Heptagonals champion, will represent Dartmouth at the NCAA National Championship today. The junior finished 32nd in the race last season.