Women's soccer defeats Princeton, still undefeated in league

Sarah Johnson '07 and the Lady Green improved to 2-0 in the Ivy League with their win over Princeton.

"Beating Princeton was a huge win for us because it gets us one step closer to our goal of the Ivy championship," Tracy said. "There is always a lot of buildup before we play Princeton because they're always a good team in contention for the title."

An aggressive Big Green offense determined the outcome of the game in the first half. Dartmouth scored on the fourth and final attempt of the half and maintained the lead to capture its second Ivy win of the season.

With less than six minutes remaining in the first half, Myra Sack '10 beat five Tigers to the ball on a right-side run and crossed the ball into the box to Tracy, who chipped the ball softly over the goalkeeper and scored her first goal of the season. Tracy's goal also ended Princeton's six-game winning streak on Laurie-Love Field.

"It was the type of goal that really two people should get credit for scoring," Tracy said. "I had the easy part of just getting a foot on it to chip it over the keeper."

Dartmouth held a slim 4-3 shooting advantage over the Tigers in the first half and created three opportunities to score from corner kicks.

"We came out and really took the game to them," Sack said. "I thought we completely dominated the play in the first half."

Princeton was eager to even the score and came out strong in the second half. The Tigers came close to scoring an equalizer but Sarah Peteraf's shot hit the crossbar and the opportunity slid away. Dartmouth's defensive line held its ground in the second half and was able to retain the lead until the end.

"This win was such a team effort," Tracy said. "Every single player on our team helped us win and I couldn't be happier that we beat Princeton on their home field."

Amanda Webb '08 recorded her fifth shutout of the season with two saves and lowered her goal against average to 0.63. She and Laurel Peak '09 have not allowed a goal into the Big Green net since Dartmouth's 1-0 loss to Minnesota on Sept. 15. The two goalkeepers combined for a total of 495:03 scoreless minutes.

"I was very happy with the team's performance because Princeton has always been a good and very strong team," head coach Angie Hind said.

The Big Green begins a three-game homestand on Sunday when it hosts Yale on Chase Field.

"It is great to be home," Hind said. "This week was the toughest week of the season and I am delighted to come out of three games undefeated."

Yale, the defending Ivy League champion, currently shares first place in the league with Dartmouth after beating both Princeton and Harvard.

"We have been on the road a lot this past week driving all the way to Syracuse and Princeton," Tracy said. "It will be great to stay home for the next three games in our house, on our field, with our fans. We are taking it one game at a time and now our focus is Yale. It is going to be a great tough game against Yale next weekend and will most likely be the decisive game in determining the Ivy champion."

In the last meeting between the Big Green and the Bulldogs, Yale scored twice in a four-minute period in the second half to beat Dartmouth 2-1 in New Haven. The Big Green will look to avenge last year's loss this Sunday.

"Yale is going to be a battle just like every other Ivy game but our confidence is really high now," Sack said.