Men's golf struggles with tough course and conditions

The golf team has yet to get the ball rolling this year, battling inconsistency.

This past weekend, the team competed in the ECAC Championships held at the Shelter Harbor Golf Club in Charlestown, R.I. The Big Green finished 10th in a field of 12 teams with a team score of 320-326-646, 20 shots behind ninth-place Brown, which shot 626 for the weekend.

The University of Rhode Island, the only team in the tournament to card a single day team score under 300, won the tournament with a 602. Their nearest competitor, Boston College, finished 11 strokes behind. Jesse Larson from The University of Rhode Island was the top individual, as he shot 74-72-146.

Co-captain Matt Uretsky '07 and Jamie Wallace '08 led the way for the Big Green, as they both shot 80-79-159 and tied for 31st place overall. Rob Henley '09 carded 78-87-165, which placed him at a tie for 45th, and co-captain Steve Reyes '07 fired 82-89-171 to tie for 57th and complete the scoring.

The graduation of last year's captains Chaki Kobayashi '06 and Kenan Yount '06 has had a noticeable effect on the team, as the squad is still looking for a consistent frontrunner to step up. Although individuals have played well at times, the team has yet to have four players fire on all cylinders at the same time.

"The team didn't play very well this week. It's been a tough season for us, since we lost our two captains from last year," commented head coach Rich Parker.

"We haven't had everyone play well at the same time this season. It's been a tough year, especially since I took over late last year and I was behind the eight-ball in terms of recruiting, although I did manage to get some talented guys."

Conditions were less than ideal for the third consecutive week, as the wind was blowing hard, making accuracy an issue for everyone in the tournament. The tough conditions forced players to be more conservative in their shot selections and sent even well-struck shots off line.

Scores were high across the board, as the Rams of Rhode Island were the only team close to breaking 600 as a team. Most players carded rounds in the high 70s, and it was not uncommon to score well into the 80s.

The members of the Dartmouth team have declined comment this week.

For the final tournament of the fall campaign, the squad will travel to The Captains Golf Course in Brewster, Mass. for the NEIGA Fall Championships to be held from October 22-24. The squad will look to end the fall season on a high note and carry some momentum into the spring season.