'...lest the old traditions fail': A history of Homecoming

Eager members of the Class of 2010 looking forward to taking part in their first Dartmouth tradition may be surprised to learn that "Homecoming's" roots technically only extend to the 1980s. It was only then that the College officially dubbed the weekend "Homecoming".

Prior to the name change, fall term's flagship social event was known as "Dartmouth Night," which originated in 1891. Dartmouth's President at the time, William Jewett Tucker, sought to create an event that could be enjoyed by the entire Dartmouth community, not just a certain class. Convocation and matriculation appealed only to certain classes within the College, he felt, and so Dartmouth Night's primary goal was to unite Dartmouth's four classes. The bonfire tradition did not take on a freshman focus in 1946 when first year students began to construct the bonfire.

In its earliest incarnations, Dartmouth Night involved students gathering together in Dartmouth Hall to hear a speech from the President of the College and to reflect on Dartmouth's history and culture. In 1901, however, the tradition evolved. That year marked the 100th anniversary of Daniel Webster's graduation from Dartmouth. To commemorate the milestone, students dressed up in 18th century clothing and danced and cavorted throughout Hanover.

In 1904, Winston Churchill attended the college's bonfire and witnessed a new phenomenon -- Dartmouth students dressed in pajamas running in circles around the conflagration.

This year's bonfire will look much different than the bonfires of yesteryear. Previously, the bonfire contained nearly 100 tiers, though safety restrictions now prevent the creation of such a tremendous structure.

The earliest versions of the bonfire were crudely concocted while today's bonfire has a pre-designed structure that enables it to collapse inwards.

Homecoming has not always been the spectacle that it is today. During World War II the College preoccupied with concerns of troops overseas, participated in more muted homecoming festivities. In 1954 a hurricane prevented the creation of the bonfire, and in 1963 the Hanover Fire Department decided that a bonfire would be too dangerous because the weather during that period had been unseasonably dry. From 1967 to 1972 there were no Homecoming festivities at all due to lack of interest from the College community.

In 2005, the College enacted "the Gauntlet," which it hoped would become a Homecoming staple for years to come. The Gauntlet refers to a formation created by freshmen outside of Leverone Field House to welcome Dartmouth's football players back on to the field following halftime.

The administration thought up the Gauntlet to replace a former Homecoming tradition -- freshmen rushing the football field during halftime.

Rushing the field may ultimately hinder the efforts of Dartmouth's football team, as the act may result in the game's resumption to be delayed, causing the football team to incur a penalty. Since the College banned field-rushing in 1986, students caught in the act face disciplinary repercussions from within the College or the threat of being charges with trespassing by Hanover Police.

Rushing the field has its genesis in a practice that dates back to the 1950s. During that decade, freshmen classes marched onto the field to form their class number. Thirty years later, the tradition evolved, much to the concern of the administration. Twice in 1985, rowdy freshmen resulted in two spectators in to separate incidents being ejected from their wheel chairs. As a result, the 1986 football season opened with an official ban on students rushing the football field.

Another Homecoming tradition, touching the fire, is even more dangerous for students than rushing the football field. In addition to the threat of physical harm, Hanover Police and Safety and Security vigilantly patrol the bonfire and are prepared to charge any students they catch trying to touch the fire with disorderly conduct.