Equestrian nabs second

Led by numerous strong individual performances, Dartmouth equestrian narrowly missed upsetting home team Vermont on Saturday, finishing only one point behind their regional rival. The solid showing left Dartmouth riders optimistic about the team's chances in the region this season.

"We need to aim for the top and try to win the region this year. We've got some great riders and by working hard and having a few big shows I think we can definitely become the top team," said co-captain Tim Malone '07.

Dartmouth ended the day with 18 top three finishes, including top three finishes for all of the "point riders," or the group (chosen beforehand by the coach) of eight riders whose placings count towards the overall team score.

Blue ribbon winners Saturday included Malone in Open Fences, Samantha Parsons '10 in Open Fences, Daisy Freund '08 in Open Flat, Katherine Scovner '08 in Novice Flat and Francesca Bochner '10 in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter.

Second place finishers included Elise Lewyckyj '10 in Intermediate Flat, Elizabeth Bissell '08 in Intermediate Fences, Lily Macartney '08 in Novice Fences, Ashley Hannebrink '07 in Novice Flat, Amanda Watson '09 in Novice Flat, and Erin Demien '07 in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter. Thirds went to Freund in Open Fences, Malone in Open Flat, Hannebrink in Intermediate Fences, Karelle Hall '08 in Novice Fences, Scovner in Novice Fences, Macartney in Novice Flat, and Kaity Wallace '07 in Walk-Trot.

Many of the day's successes came from riders new to intercollegiate competition.

"It felt amazing to win my first class, but it really sets the bar for the future," said Bochner.

For Hall, a two-year veteran of the team, Saturday marked her first time jumping in competition.

"I was very excited and nervous to finally jump in one of our horseshows, but by the time I started my course I didn't even think about it," she said. "I felt that my course was very solid and I was just happy to get around all the fences without a problem."

Hall had finished the Spring 2006 show season by moving up from the Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter to the Novice division. On Saturday, Bissell and Hannebrink both earned the points needed to move up divisions, into Open Fences and Intermediate Flat respectively.

Moving up a division requires that a rider earn 35 points in his/her previous class and gives them a spot at Regionals in the spring.

Next weekend the equestrian team will face off against Vermont and other regional foes in a double header, with competition at Colby Sawyer College on Saturday and a home show on Sunday.