Club Corner

Despite the loss of five seniors, Dartmouth men's club hockey looks forward to a highly competitive season with their skilled, albeit younger team.

Their first match against Yale went to the Bulldogs as it unfortunately occurred on Rush night and the Big Green lost half its team to the call of the Greeks.

"We definitely outplayed them," said goalie Jeremy Seidling '09. "But we lost over half our team midway through the game when the score was 1-1."

The team's only varsity experience comes from Christine Capuano '07, but five freshmen help to bulk up the squad. Kareem Niazi '09, Jamal Sabky '09 and captain Shamir Kapadia '07 add speed and puck-handling skills to the team. Though they lost their senior goalie last year, the team is three deep with Seidling, Capuano and Elena Severinghaus '09 between the posts for the Big Green.

The men compete against, but are not affiliated with the American Club Hockey Association (ACHA). The Big Green's competition ranges from club teams within the Ivy League, to Junior B teams out of Boston, to the highly experienced Tuck School of Business. The Big Green tries to minimize its travel efforts in order to accommodate non-varsity athletes with more responsibilities on campus.

"Our main goal is to provide an opportunity for students to skate a couple times each week while playing a highly competitive level of hockey," Seidling said.

Women's rugby fell to the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in their campaign for the national tournament on Saturday.

It seemed, for every great try that the Dartmouth women scored, the Minutewomen met them with one more. In the end, the Big Green bowed out at 12-15 in an anti-climatic finish, putting them out of the national rankings for the moment.

Polocrosse will be holding a demonstration on Friday on the Green from 2 to 3 p.m. The club team members will explain the intricacies of their sport while holding their team fundraiser. Two ponies will be present, though restricted to the gravel paths, and riders will be dressed in full regalia for a demonstration.