UGA selection becomes more competitive

In the most competitive year yet, 310 students applied for 160 to 165 Undergraduate Advisor positions in late April. New residence clusters increased the applicant pool, which included students from the freshmen to junior class, Assistant Director of Residential Education Jeff DeWitt said.

Although in past years the ratio of male to female UGAs accepted was made available shortly after the acceptances were announced, the Office of Residential Life informed The Dartmouth on Monday after one week of inquiry that this year's in-depth analysis will not be available until July.

In 2004, approximately 69.4 percent of men were accepted and 68.7 percent of women were offered positions. In 2005, these numbers decreased slightly but remained close to one another at 64.9 percent acceptance for men and 60.6 percent for women. Both years saw more female acceptances, a likely scenario again in 2006.

Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman estimated that the ratio of males to females this year would be about 50-50 or 40-60. Redman explained that because of a busier year for the department and a change in policy, a more in-depth analysis could not confirm these numbers until Summer term.

Moreover, final numbers are not available because some UGAs who were offered positions could drop out before July, Redman said.

DeWitt's estimates were able to address the entire applicant pool, however, revealing a competitive acceptance rate this year just over 50 percent (males and females combined).

"We hire the best people possible," Dewitt said. "We have expectations of them being visible and present around campus."

Of the statistics presently available, approximately 93 former UGAS reapplied and more than 85 of them were offered UGA positions for next year.

In the selection process for next year's UGAs, each student is judged based on his or her written application, an individual interview and a problem-solving group exercise. Dewitt works with the campus' eight community directors to evaluate the candidates and offer them placements in a residence hall.

"We go by what students do in the process," Dewitt said. "Previous experience may come into play but we don't base [acceptance to the program] on what they have done on campus."

UGA candidates are interviewed by one community director and one current UGA. In addition to this, past group exercises have asked applicants to plan an educational program that addresses a common student need that is suitable for a diverse residence floor.

"That information is used primarily to assess a staff because we don't want a staff of all similar personalities," Dewitt said.

Due to the Dartmouth Plan, some newly hired students will only assume their UGA position for one or two terms. All UGAs commit to a training period that begins shortly before Fall term.

Many UGAs, like New Hampshire hall UGA Ali Levine '07, say they enjoy the opportunity to improve their UGA skills from year to year.

"I'm really excited because next year I'll have freshmen and upper-class residents which will allow me to be more creative," Levine said.

The acceptance process that favors veteran UGAs leaves some new applicants frustrated, however.

"Qualified applicants are rejected because of old UGAs that are rehired," said Alex Cook '09, who was waitlisted to be a UGA next year.

Cook wanted to become a UGA next year because of his positive experience with his floor's two different UGAs this year.

"I understand that once you're in the system your position is concrete, but it's unfair to other new applicants," Cook said.

According to Dewitt, former UGAs are evaluated by community directors who frequently meet with UGAs to discuss their continued involvement.

Some students believe that the evaluation process does not prevent the existence of UGAs that are ineffective and absent from their residents' daily lives.

"I felt that my UGA could have done more to unite the floor as a freshmen floor. I didn't get the Choates experience I expected," said Raymond Rodriguez '09, who attributes his floor's lack of community to his UGA's preoccupation in the fall with sorority rush.

Regardless of the selection process, students who are selected to be a UGA say they are happy to have the opportunity to work with their fellow Dartmouth students.

"I'm really excited because I get a single," Ian Dumont '09 said. "I really wanted to work with '10s, and so I get to encounter them the whole year."