Track teams hurdle Winter term performances at weekend Heps

Fatih Stanley '06 claimed both the 100 and 200 meter runs at the Heptagonal Championships over the weekend, breaking school records in both events.

Cornell took the Ivy title on the men's and women's sides as it had during the indoor season, continuing a string of five consecutive women's and four consecutive men's titles.

Several athletes stepped up in a big way to lead the scoring for Dartmouth, with Fatih Stanley '06 leading the charge. Stanley won both the 100 and 200 meters, setting school records in the process.

Stanley clocked in at 10.65 seconds to win the 100 meters by two-tenths of a second, and likewise bested the field by three-tenths in the 200 with a 21.41-second run.

"It feels amazing to be the Ivy champ in the 100m and 200m," Stanley said. "It is a blessing to finally be healthy after three years of plaguing back, hip and leg injuries. This has been the first year that I have been able to do what I know I am capable of doing."

Stanley's run marked the first time a Dartmouth runner had ever won the 200 meters at outdoor Heps, and the first time Dartmouth had won the 100 meters since 1962.

Stanley broke the record of 10.69 seconds in the 100 by Jeff Jackson '86, and bested Tyler Haney '03's 20.47-second 200-meter record time. He credited his coach, teammates and brothers, both former Dartmouth track standouts, for helping to make his achievement possible.

"My coach, [Sandra Ford-Centonze, sprints coach] and the rest of the track and field coaching staff as well as my brothers Mustafa and Ahmad Abdur-Rahim ['04] really kept me focused on my goals."

Stanley was not alone in his achievement, however, as Ben True '08 and Rob Kerris '07 also scored high for the Dartmouth men with career best performances.

True won the 1500-meter run with a blazing finish to edge Liam Boylan-Pett of Columbia by a second, taking first in 3:44.17 in the fourth-best performance the meet has ever seen and the best time in 15 years. Harry Norton '08 finished fourth in the event, coming close behind True in 3:47.10.

True also combined with Steve Mucchetti '06 to take second and third in the 5,000-meter run, as the duo finished in 14:18.61 and 14:23.73, respectively.

Kerris represented Dartmouth well in the field, taking second in the discus and shot put with throws of 166'08" and 52'10" in each event.

"Sometimes track is an individual and a team sport," men's head coach Barry Harwick '77 said, "and sometimes we have to try to maximize individual performances, and that's what we did down there.

"I was actually pretty happy with how it turned out. At the end of the first day we had a grand total of eight points, on the low side any way you would look at it. To come on so strong the second day, that was very, very gratifying."

The Lady Green had its fair share of top performers as well, led by the multi-event prowess of Kelsey Wiegmann '06. Wiegmann scored in three events, claiming the Ivy title in the javelin and taking second in the heptathlon and fourth in the high jump.

Wiegmann threw 154'3" in the javelin, cleared 5'5" in the high jump and tallied 5,174 points in the heptathlon to break her own school record for the event. Jadah Chatterton-Richmond '07 also scored in the event, finishing fifth with 4,511 points.

Also scoring high for Dartmouth in multiple events were Melanie Schorr '06 in the 5k and 10,000 meters and Jamila Smith '06 in the shot put and hammer throw.

Smith won the shot put with a 45'11.75" toss, eight inches better than her closest competition, and threw the hammer 166'07" to finish fourth in the event.

Schorr took second in the 5k with a time of 16:31.55, and crossed in 34:40.15 to take fourth in the 10k. Mattie Chatterton-Richmond '06 also had a record-setting day for Dartmouth, leaping 39'10" in the triple jump to take fourth in the event and break Leanne Atencio '88's record.

Taking third for the Lady Green were Emily Daly '09 in the discus, with a 142'3" throw, and Tara McNerney '09 in the high jump, who cleared 5'7."

Ford-Centonze, also the women's head coach, was happy with Dartmouth's showing against its Ivy brethren. "[It was] a good all around effort by both teams," she said, "and I think we walked away feeling pretty good about ourselves, knowing that we went down there and competed and represented Dartmouth well."