Senior gift gets a boost from alums

As seniors prepare for their last few weeks at Dartmouth, two alumni gave future graduates an added incentive to contribute to the legacy of the Class of 2006.

For over 25 years, the College's graduating class has given a senior gift to future students by donating money to the Dartmouth College Fund. Seniors can specify one of eight focus areas within the fund as the recipient of their fund; these divisions include, but are not limited to, the arts, athletics, financial aid and technology.

Although this year's gift campaign is similar to those of past years, this time Brad Evans '64 and Peter Fahey '68 have presented the graduating class with a challenge: Evans and Fahey have pledged to donate $1,000 to the senior class gift for every one percent of participation -- approximately 10 gifts.

Nariah Broadus, associate director of the Dartmouth College Fund, said that the senior class's contributions not only begin a tradition of giving back to the College, but also will aid the Class of 2010. For every $1,000 raised by graduating seniors, one Class of 2010 scholar will be named in honor of the Class of 2006.

"The premise behind it was to encourage people to start giving to the College earlier, that everyone can make a contribution, and all gifts of all sizes really do make a difference to the College Fund," Broadus said. "[The seniors] will be recognized by the Class of 2010 scholars and the scholars will get what they need in terms of financial aid from the entire College Fund."

Broadus added that even if seniors do not designate their gift to go to the financial aid aspect of the fund, the contribution will inevitably enrich a future student's Dartmouth experience in some other capacity, whether it be through a gift that benefits the arts or one that helps the College expand its digital library.

She also said that prospects look good for surpassing last year's participation level of 56 percent. The senior class, with about 36 percent participation thus far, has raised approximately $8,000. Already, this means that Evans and Fahey have pledged around $36,000 to the Fund.

Elliot May '06, one of three interns hired last spring to organize and work on this process, cites a commitment to Dartmouth as a personal incentive for both contributing monetarily to the fund and donating his time to the cause as well.

"The most important characteristic of development, to me, is that you have to truly believe in whatever it is that you are raising money for," May said. "I believe in Dartmouth College. I believe that the education I have received, both academically and socially, is entirely unique to this institution."

He also stressed that whether a student gives one dollar or $100 makes no difference because the overall goal is related to simple participation and the concept of giving back to the institution in any capacity.

Cate Birtley '06, one of the volunteer captains overseeing the agents who solicit individuals for contributions, also said that the spirit of the gift is to encourage students to give whatever they can, rather than to stress the importance of a large contribution.

She also said that although it is sometimes difficult to ask for a monetary gift from classmates, the power of the cause overcomes any discomfort associated with the process.

"It's hard to ask people for money, but I think because I've had a great Dartmouth experience I felt really strongly about giving," Birtley said. "When exiting seniors give, it makes them more likely to give again in the future. It puts in your mind that maybe every year you could give just a little bit."

With only a week left to contribute -- the collection process ends June 1 -- seniors have to rally if they want to beat last year's participation level.

Elkin Cabas '06, one of the agents, said that the gift experience is a good one to have in the senior class's last weeks at the College.

"We keep on getting reminded that the '05 class had the highest participation rate in history and that the '06 class has to beat them," Cabas said. "It's a good way for the '06 class to come together before graduation. We even formed a Facebook group."