Police Blotter

May 14, South Main Street, 6:38 a.m.

Safety and Security called Hanover Police because a man was passed out in the second floor hallway of the Hanover Inn. When officers roused the 25-year-old, he claimed that he was in town for the Dartmouth Pow-Wow. Police took the man into protective custody.

May 18, South Main Street, 3 a.m.

A police officer near downtown Hanover noted heard loud hollering coming from the direction of Mass Row and soon spotted two male Dartmouth students walking down the middle of West Wheelock Street, still yelling loudly. In an attempt to quiet them, the officer shined his spotlight at them. Still yelling, the two began to run in the direction of the Canoe Club. After observing one of the students grab a milk crate and throw it against the brick wall of the Dartmouth Bookstore, the officer flashed his blue lights and began to chase the students. With the help of another officer, the police were able to corral both of the males. One of the students was 21 years old and therefore only taken into protective custody while the other male, who was 20 years old, was arrested for unlawful possession and intoxication.

May 18, Rope Ferry Road, 3:04 a.m.

Police arrived at Dick's House to take the statement of a victim who had been severely injured in an assault. Between 2 and 3 a.m., the male victim was sitting with a woman in his car in the parking lot of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity when two men of indeterminate age came out of the fraternity's basement. One of the men dumped the remaining beer out of a can he had been drinking from onto the car's hood and then threw the empty can at the car's windshield. Agitated by this, the victim stepped out of the car to confront the man, but was stopped by the man's friend, who tried to apologize, explaining that his friend was drunk. During his friend's apology, the man who threw the can began to relieve himself on the victim's car. When the victim attempted to stop this, the man who had been apologizing struck the victim in the face. This was followed by a subsequent blow by the man who had been urinating, and the two continued to punch and kick the victim as he fell to the ground and eventually fled the scene. The victim suffered a chipped tooth, as well as other injuries.

May 21, Mass Row, 1:08 a.m.

Police responded to a reported fight at Thayer Dining Hall. Upon investigation, the police discovered that two male students who had been wrestling over a grilled cheese sandwich. Neither party was intoxicated, or arrested.

May 22, East Wheelock Street, 12 p.m.

Police were called to respond to an incident caused by a 37-year-old mentally unstable man who had made strange remarks to several construction workers. The man, who is unaffiliated with the College, reportedly told construction workers that if he had had gloves like the ones they were wearing, he'd be able to shoot people. Officers managed to catch up with the man by Hanover High School and later found out that he was responsible for several other bizarre incidents that had occurred earlier in the day such as standing out in traffic while waving a knife at the passing cars and changing his clothes in the St. Denis Church. Because the man had not been taking his medication, police urged him to go to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for a psychiatric evaluation, to which he acquiesced. It was later determined that the man was also responsible for breaking the glass on three of the framed pictures hanging in the Rockefeller Center.

May 23, Tyler Road, 10:47 p.m.

A Hanover High School student called the police when he caught two other students vandalizing his car with brownies and trying to enter the vehicle. The two students fled and the student called Hanover Police after memorizing their license plate number. When officers pulled over the car in town, there were three students in the car, one of whom was seemingly under the influence of an illegal substance, assumed to be marijuana. The brownie vandalism charges were dropped when the victim recognized the two perpetrators as his friends, however.