Outing Club, other organizations offer alternatives to Greek weekend scene

Hundreds of students will no doubt flock to the block party on Webster Avenue or the lawn party at Alpha Delta fraternity this weekend, but if sipping beers and listening to sweet music on a (most likely wet) lawn is not really your thing, there are plenty of non-Greek events planned for this year's Green Key.

The Dartmouth Outing Club kicked off the weekend Thursday afternoon with its All-DOC Day on Massachusetts Row. The event exhibited each of the DOC clubs--Cabin and Trail, the Mountaineering Club, Ledyard Canoe Club, Ski Patrol, cycling, and the organic farm--at separate booths as students partook in the first of the weekend's barbeques.

"It's a chance for various member clubs to showcase what they do," DOC President Ada Graham '08 said before the event. "We'll have a barbeque and we'll be playing a lot of the music people heard on their freshman trips--a lot of the Salty Dog Rag."

Tonight will see the return of The People's Video Festival at Collis Common Ground at 8 p.m. The festival, an annual event that gives students the chance to submit and view amateur films, will offer awards in the narrative, music video, experimental, comedy, animation, documentary and ninja/shoot-em-up categories, as well as free beer.

Shakespeare Alley will also provide students with an alternative to the Greek scene by showcasing "A Number," Caryl Churchill's two-character play, tonight at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. Hannah Chase '06 directed the student play. Chase has been working on the play since last summer, but the rehearsal process has lasted the duration of the term, she said.

Actors Bud Simis '08 and Professor James Goodwin Rice will star in the play, which Chase described as "fast-paced, chilling," and "a good choice for anyone looking for interesting, new theater."

"'A Number' is an exciting short play about a father's relationship with his sons, and what happens when secrets from his past come back to haunt him," Chase said.

The weekend will conclude with a second barbeque at the Aquinas House on Sunday -- their first will be tonight -- at 6pm.