Conference promotes Asian American studies

Dartmouth held a landmark Asian American Studies Conference this past weekend to explore issues related to the absence of an Asian American curriculum at the College.

Scholars and professors from across the country participated in the three day conference that organizers hope will further awareness regarding Asian American studies on campus. Dartmouth is currently the only Ivy League university that does not offer an Asian American studies minor or curriculum.

"I don't think you're going to suddenly open up the [Organizations, Regulations and Courses book] next year and see an Asian American studies minor. But it's now definitely being discussed," said Tim Mok '08, who is an intern at the Office of Asian and Asian American Student Advising.

The absence of an Asian American studies program has encouraged students over the past nine years to work towards developing an Asian American curriculum. Two years ago students circulated a petition calling for an Asian American Studies program that was signed by approximately 1,200 students.

"It's exciting to see this change because it's been a long process," Pan Asian Student Intern Shawn Zhou '06 said. "I think there is enough fuel right now because [Dean of Faculty Carol Folt] and other faculty have committed to having an Asian American curriculum sometime soon."

At the conference, College President James Write gave the opening remarks and keynote speaker Gary Okihiro of Columbia University discussed the growing need to recognize Asian American studies as an integral component of ethnic studies.

The Conference held several panels on different topics, including "Performing Gender and Sexuality" and "Race, Modernity and America." Each panel consisted of four to five field experts that discussed their perspectives with Dartmouth faculty and students.

"It's good to see the turnout among Dartmouth students, because there is no reason Dartmouth should have the program if students don't care," Zhou said.

However, students have mixed feelings about the delay in starting an Asian American Studies program at Dartmouth and some note that the conference took place mainly because of the dedication of Nora Yasumura, adviser to Asian American students.

"[The delay in forming an Asian studies department] is a little disappointing, but I will be relatively involved as an alum in the program because it's now able to take a life of its own without being pushed solely by Nora and students," Zhou said.