Students satisfied with Dimensions

With suitcases in hand, prospective members of the Class of 2010 leave campus after a long weekend visiting the College.isiting

Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg said that this year's Dimensions was a hit, citing the large turnout, beautiful weather and a new schedule of events as factors contributing to the weekend's success.

"It was probably the best Dimensions that I've seen," he said. "I think we did something that was a little bit different from the past in that the program was very full and informative."

The prospective students had the opportunity to witness and experience various aspects of Dartmouth life during their stay, ranging from campus tours and class visits to a cappella performances and fraternity parties. Furstenberg said the effort put into the program by current undergraduates and the characteristic enthusiasm of Dartmouth students reflected well on the College.

"I remember how everyone was just so happy to be at Dartmouth and I got the feeling that everyone really liked the school as a whole," said Doug Zarbock, who attended Dimensions this weekend and will matriculate at the College next year.

According to Zarbock, one of the weekend's highlights was the Dimensions Show, in which current Dartmouth students dressed up in crazy costumes and surprised the "prospies" with skits, dancing and singing, including a rendition of Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone" with the words changed to tout the College's foreign study opportunities.

Many members of the cast went so far as to pretend to be prospective students throughout the day and up until the start of the show, when most of them were hidden amidst the audience of unsuspecting prospective students.

Lauren Caracciola '09, a member of the show's cast, said that the presence of prospective students infused current students with a new sense of love for their school.

"The prospies were really excited and surprised about the show," Caracciola said. "It was great to see them all enthusiastic, and because of that I feel like it got everyone else excited about being at Dartmouth themselves."

Caracciola added that while some aspects of having the prospective students on campus were less than perfect, overall it was a successful weekend.

"I think that as far as the Dimensions show goes everyone was really happy to have the [prospective students] here," Caracciola said. "One [vomited] on our stairs and that wasn't really appreciated, but from the Dimensions perspective, I think it was really a positive experience."

Although some prospective students did have disorderly Dartmouth experiences, Furstenberg said that, as of today, no acceptances have been rescinded.