Kresge to reopen two months late

Christina Douglas '07 works out in the temporary fitness center.

While the ribbon cutting for the fitness center will take place soon, the rest of the gym complex continues to be under construction and should be completed over the summer. Renovations already complete include a number of multi-purpose rooms that will house yoga, fencing and other activities and will be open for use this week.

Kresge, which was originally supposed to reopen this past February, will include areas for cardio machines that overlook the track and football field complex, as well as the baseball field and East Wheelock Street. A number of the new machines will also be equipped with televisions.

Changes to the center include sandblasting the walls to expose the brick underneath and tearing down the old ceilings to expose the roof trusses. The support beams crisscross up to the new high vaulted ceiling into which a number of skylights have been added, allowing natural light into the room.

"The fitness center will be one of the best around," said John Scherding, assistant director of Planning, Design and Construction.

Roger Demment, associate director of Athletics for Physical Education and Recreation, concurred.

"It should be one of the more spectacular sites on campus ... it should be as nice if not nicer than any other fitness center in the Ivy League," he said.

Dartmouth will spend around $12 million on the gym complex before it is finished.

"It has been a very challenging project, but a very successful one. The quality of work has been excellent," Scherding said.