Henderson selected to New Zealand U-20 national team

Freshman Henderson looks to use his fancy footwork to help his native New Zealand advance to the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Forward Craig Henderson '09 was named to New Zealand's Under-20 squad for the first time in his career.

He is a part of a team of 20 players, called upon to represent their country in two friendly international matches against the Australian Under-20 team in May.

"It is great news for our program and for Craig Henderson," Dartmouth head coach Jeff Cook said in an interview with the Dartmouth Athletic Department. "He has spoken to all of his Spring-term professors, and they have all expressed their support for him."

Henderson enjoyed a solid campaign as a freshman on the Big Green team, playing in 16 of the squad's 18 games and starting three of the first 11. He was third in goals on the team with three and fourth in points with six. He also possessed the highest goals/shots ratio on the team with 0.250.

Henderson's most memorable moment in a Big Green uniform came in the team's final game of the regular season.

Trailing the Bears of Brown University with 5:45 left on the clock, "Hendo" met a vicious cross by Mark Limpert '07 to score the equalizer in a 2-2 draw.

The tie earned both teams a share of the Ivy League title, Dartmouth's seventh overall and second in succession.

"I'm really excited about the trip as it is something that I have been working toward," Henderson said to the Athletic Department. "I have spoken to all of my professors, and they have approved of me leaving as long as I can complete the work in their classes. It is going to be difficult but definitely worth it. I will finish some assignments early and obviously work hard when I get back."

New Zealand's Under-20 squad will begin its "Road to Canada" campaign, aiming to qualify for the 2007 FIFA U-20 men's World Cup.

The qualifying teams will be decided in January's Oceania U-20 Championship in Auckland. Until then, they will try to gel together through a series of friendly games. The matches against Australia are on May 4 and May 8.

Henderson previously represented New Zealand as a member of the Under-17 national team at a 2003 tournament on Australia's Sunshine Coast.

The Lower Hutt native has played for Stokes Valley, Stokes Vegas and Western Suburbs in his home country, while also being selected to the New Zealand Secondary Schools team in 2004.