Equestrian team rides to victory in regular season finale

Dartmouth equestrian ended its regular season with a bang, finishing first at Mount Ida College on March 27. The victory pulled the team into second place in the final point standings with 273, 17 behind perennial favorite University of Vermont and three ahead of Mount Ida.

In an effort that included seven individual blue ribbons, Dartmouth took the final show of the season over Vermont by four points.

"I was elated with how the team finished the season. To pull off a win at Mt. Ida on their home turf was amazing. They generally win their home shows by a landslide," said coach Sally Batton.

"It was amazing that our team was able to ride as well as we did and defeat Mount Ida to pull into second in the region," added co-captain Abby Donahue '06.

Adding to the victory was an impressive one-two finish for Dartmouth riders Tim Malone '07 and Daisy Freund '08 in the Cacchione Cup standings.

The Cup is awarded in each region to the Open rider with the most points in both fences and flat classes. Winners in each region go on to compete at Nationals. Last year, Freund won the Cup for Dartmouth's region.

"It felt great to finally win the Cacchione," said Malone. "I've come close before, finishing second my freshman year and third last year after missing a show, so I'm really excited that I came out on top this year. I think it shows the strength of our team that we have the top two riders in the region."

"We are all so proud of Tim," added Donahue. "He worked really hard to earn his spot at nationals this year. I can't wait to cheer him on in Harrisburg."

Blue ribbons last Sunday went to Malone in Open Flat and Open Fences, Donahue and Kate Wooler '08 in Intermediate Fences, Janelle Moerlein '06 in Intermediate Flat, Karelle Hall '08 in Walk/Trot/Canter and Jeff Brown '05 in Walk/Trot.

Second place finishers included Freund in Open Fences, Lizzy Rauner '06 in Open Fences, Lauren Pfisterer '06 in Novice Flat, and Jane Park '06 in Walk/Trot.

Placing third were Freund in Open Flat and Rauner in Intermediate Flat.

After a winter spent on the Anthropology FSP to New Zealand, her win on Sunday came as a pleasant shock for Hall.

"I was surprised to win my class after only riding a couple of times since October," said Hall. " I think it is difficult to come back and show after being out of the saddle for so long. It's not like riding a bike. You have to work hard to re-strengthen your muscles and get your position back, as well as getting back into a show frame of mind."

"The Dartmouth D-plan makes it difficult for all athletes to return in shape and ready for their season after an off-term," she continued. "This is especially true for equestrian because you could be spending three months without riding a horse and there aren't many exercises that work the same muscles."

Malone spent his off term at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Florida, a seven-week competition that showcased some of the best riders in the nation.

"I had the opportunity to work with some top trainers and to ride four or five horses a day in addition to competing my own, which I think really helped to make me a more effective and sophisticated rider," said Malone.

As Mount Ida is one of the farther colleges in the region, the Dartmouth team traditionally stays with Donahue's family instead of making the drive the morning of the show.

"The Mt. Ida show is always one of the best of our season thanks to the hospitality of the Donahues," said team manager Elyssa Gelmann '06. They give us all beds, tons of food, and most importantly, the most amazing chocolate trifle I have ever had."

Dartmouth followed its victory with a second-place finish at the Regionals competition at Colby Sawyer College on Saturday. After qualifying 12 riders for eight events, Malone (open flat, challenge class), Freund (open fences) and Elizabeth Bissell '08 (intermediate flat) each won blue ribbons in their respective events.