Club Corner

In a first for the program, the women's ultimate frisbee team placed first at the Yale Cup tournament. The team was undefeated in the tournament and came away with the winner's prize -- a $150 gift certificate to Gaia Sports, a sporting goods company specializing in ultimate frisbee products.

The men's team was bounced in the quarterfinals by Boston University, but went 4-2 on the weekend. On the way to their solid finish, the men beat Williams for the first time this season, winning 13-9.

"The first half was abysmal," Chris Cahill '07 said of the BU game, "We dropped a lot of discs, and after the half we were down 8-2."

The Pain Train staged an impressive comeback in the second half, but it was too little too late, and the game ended 11-8. Cahill opined that if the game hadn't been capped by time, the team would have had a good shot at winning. He was not sure how they placed overall.

The Yale Cup is a very important tournament because it is the last major tournament teams play before Sectionals, and more importantly, Regionals.

The Regional tournament, traditionally the most hotly contested and sought after title of the season, will be held at Dartmouth on the weekend of May 6 and 7. The Yale Cup is seen as both an indicator of what will happen at Regionals and a last chance to work out kinks against tough competition.

In other club sports news, men's volleyball traveled to Salt Lake City for the NIRSA National Championship Touranment. The Big Green was ranked 30th in Division II going in, but finished 25th in the tourney.

On the last day of the tournament, the 48 Division II teams were split into gold, silver and bronze brackets. Dartmouth lost in the opening round of silver competition to Ithaca College. After a tough 25-21 first game loss, Dartmouth held a commanding 24-19 lead in the second game of the match, and at game point, looked to take things to a third and final game.

However, Ithaca put together a remarkable rally, scoring seven straight points, taking the game 26-24 and the match in two games, eliminating the Big Green. The tough loss ended Dartmouth's season.