Excess and Efficiency

With the recent announcement of yet another tuition hike, we deem it only appropriate to question where, and to whom, our current funds are being directed. Are they all being used properly? Are new programs succeeding? Are our resources performing to their potential?

Although the College has made some progress with departments that are understaffed and crowded with students, we must continue to question the bloated slate of directors and deans that inflate the budget. One recent addition, Sustainability Coordinator Jim Merkel, illustrates this broader point.

This newspaper cautiously applauded the appointment of this activist-turned-administrator on the condition that his programs saved the College more money than his hiring cost. Though we recognize the admirable nature of sustainability efforts, Merkel has failed to execute numerous proposals -- some of which, like the design of new light-switch stickers and a "strategic plan to develop a plan," provide almost comic examples of administrative inefficiency. Furthermore, Merkel has failed to take the necessary initiative to acquaint himself with the College's structure and its problems. His ineffective discussion of sustainability with regard to the Greek system earlier this term exemplifies this failure.

In Merkel's defense, however, both his title and the concept of sustainability lack a clear, consensus definition. Equally frustrating, Merkel claims that his proposals have been impeded by a strong current of administrative resistance. If the College hires an employee, and makes us foot the bill for it, they should at least let him do his job.

In emulation of Merkel, we have a few proposals of our own, the enaction of which will reduce administrative excess. First and foremost, Parkhurst needs to take a careful look at its payroll, determine which positions are absolutely vital to the health and dynamism of the College and eliminate or consolidate positions that do not meet this criterion. Administrators should feel constant pressure to justify the existence of their positions and to achieve maximum efficiency. Second, Parkhurst needs to set concrete priorities for each of its administrators and ensure that they work together, instead of at cross-purposes. Finally, the College must push the envelope with regard to administrative structure by adopting a more corporate structure and market-based approach to allocating College resources. A leaner and more effective administrative apparatus will better marshal the College's resources, enhance the quality and efficiency of this institution and limit further increases to the already-staggering cost of higher education.