Dartmouth winter athletes recognized for academic prowess

The honor is awarded to student-athletes who are starters or key reserves for their officially-recognized varsity teams and who carry a cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or better. Each Ivy League school is allowed to nominate five men and women from its eligible pool of student-athletes for the award.

On the women's side, Caroline Ethier '07, Heather Lisle '07, Kristin Simunovich '06, Angie Soriaga '06 and Kelsey Wiegmann '06 were honored.

Big Green junior Ethier is a three-year member of the women's hockey team and an assistant captain of the team in the 2005-06 season, while classmate Lisle is a three-year letter-winner with the women's squash team.

Simunovich, an anthropology and sociology double major and member of the swim team, recorded the all-time top 10 times in the 100 and 200-meter freestyle events.

"It is sort of a surprise to be picked out of so many talented student-athletes at this school," the senior said. "I don't think of myself as any better than anyone else here. We all work hard at what we do."

Soriaga is receiving the award for the second time. The four-year starter on the women's basketball team helped her squad to its second consecutive Ivy League title and NCAA bid this season.

Wiegmann, a four-year member of the track and field team and an economics and sociology double major, placed second in the pentathlon and fourth in the high jump at the Indoor Heptagonal Championship.

In men's sports, Hank Alexander '06, Andrew Berry '08, Mike Carmody '08, Brian McMillan '08 and Mike Ouellette'06 were honored.

Seniors Alexander and Ouellette are captains and four-year letter-winners of the squash and hockey teams, respectively. Ouellette helped his team to a share of the Cleary Cup and was named Ivy League Player of the Year and ECAC Hockey League Defensive Forward of the year.

Berry, a member of the swimming and diving team, was named an NCAA Academic All-American after finishing fourth in the one-meter and eighth in the three-meter diving competitions at the EISL. Fellow sophomore Carmody won the 800-meter run event at the Indoor Heptagonal Championship and broke the Leverone Field House record.

McMillan, a native of Valparaiso, Ind., double majoring in history and government and a first-time recipient of the award, has played in 25 games this season for the basketball team and been a consistent contributor in points.

"It's a great honor to be recognized for this award because there are so many talented and intelligent athletes at Dartmouth and in the Ivy League," McMillan said. "Because there are so many qualified people for this award, it was nice to be selected out of all of the other athletes.

"This award is great because it recognizes the tremendous efforts of student-athletes," McMillan continued. "Many people don't realize the amount of time and energy athletes sacrificed to do well in both athletics and academics, so it's nice that we are recognized for our efforts to represent the Dartmouth community in a positive way."