Women's icers complete season above .500 mark

The Big Green (12-11-4, 9-8-3 ECACHL) got off to an auspicious start, jumping on No. 8 Clarkson (21-11-1, 12-7 ECACHL) from the outset on Saturday, and cruising to a 6-2 victory. The squad couldn't carry the momentum from Potsdam to Canton, however, and Dartmouth fell 5-1 to No. 2 St. Lawrence (28-3-2, 16-2-2 ECACHL).

The Big Green enjoyed relatively solid play in net all weekend. Kate Lane '06 made 35 saves in the loss to St. Lawrence, but was unable to keep up with the barrage of shots on goal that the Saints rained down for much of the game. Carli Clemis '09 got the start on Friday and carried a shutout into the third period, long after Dartmouth had put the game out of reach.

Dartmouth, having lost several veterans to the Olympics and injury, saw freshmen take on important roles all season. Things were no different this weekend. The Big Green started five freshmen against the Golden Knights, and the team's only tally against the Saints was scored and assisted by members of the Class of 2009.

Nicole Ruta '08 made sure no one forgot about the other classes, however. Ruta found the back of the net twice in the first period against Clarkson, sparking the Big Green's run that put the game out of reach early.

Dartmouth took a 4-0 lead into the second period and pressed its advantage, starting the third up 6-0. The win, which ensured an above-.500 record for the season, avenged the Big Green's 1-0 loss to Clarkson early in the season.

Unfortunately, Dartmouth could not make revenge a habit, falling for the second time this season to St. Lawrence's powerhouse squad.

The Big Green had a tough time keeping up with the Saints. Dartmouth had significant difficulty controlling the puck and creating shots. The team managed only nine shots on goal for the entire game. St. Lawrence had at least that many in every period.

Dartmouth also hurt itself. The team earned 18 minutes worth of penalties over the course of the game, giving the talented St. Lawrence squad too many opportunities.

While the penalty killing unit got plenty of ice time, the Big Green got its share of chances with a man advantage. However, three of St. Lawrence's five penalties came in the third, when St. Lawrence had the game in hand.

The big win against Clarkson should boost the team's spirits and confidence as it heads into the league tournament. Dartmouth, the sixth seed, will next take on Brown, the league's third seed. Brown beat Dartmouth 2-0 early this season, but the Bears needed a miraculous three-goal third period to salvage a tie in the second meeting of the season. Brown and Dartmouth will play the three-game first round series in Providence, R.I. March 3-5.