Women's basketball thumps Penn and Princeton

With the victories, the Big Green improves to 16-4 on the season and is now 7-0 in Ivy play.

Dartmouth overcame a young Penn team in the 63-43 victory on Friday night. The Big Green took advantage of Penn's ice cold shooting in the beginning of the first half and built an early 10-0 lead. The Quakers were scoreless until the 13:30 mark.

Dartmouth limited Penn to a meager 26.7 percent from the floor in the first stanza, and the Quakers could not find any comfort from behind the arc.Penn did not come within 10 points of Dartmouth's lead for the remainder of the contest as the Big Green captured its sixth league win of the season.

Forward Ashley Taylor '07 led three Big Green players in double figures with 21 points, including 10 from the charity stripe, and added seven rebounds to the effort. Center Sydney Scott '08 contributed 11 points and nine boards while Fatima Kamara '07 chipped in 10 points to the win over Penn.

The Big Green was 19-for-52 from the floor overall and completed one-third of all attempts from behind the arc. None of the Quakers scored in the double figures. Jennifer Fleischer had 10 rebounds, while teammate Monica Nalter scored a team-leading nine points against the Big Green. Penn shot 24.6 percent from the field and completed only 11.1 percent of its attempts from three-point distance.

On Saturday evening, the Big Green defeated Princeton in an 82-64 win. Princeton was unable to put together the kind of game that had carried the Tigers through many difficult contests this season.

Dartmouth jumped to a quick 15-2 start as a rusty Princeton squad struggled to find a way to contain the top team in the Ivy League. The women in green limited the Tigers to just two points for the initial 11 minutes of the contest. Although Princeton was able to cut the deficit to eight points, the Big Green responded with a 12-2 run to end the first half 37-19.

Princeton completed only 30.8 percent of its attempts from the floor and was 0-6 from three-point range, while the Big Green made 42.3 percent of its field goals in the first half and 40 percent of its attempts from behind the arc.

The Big Green opened the second stanza the same way that it closed the first. By the 10:12 mark, Dartmouth extended its advantage to 26 points. Princeton never recovered.

All 12 players on the Big Green roster saw action for the second consecutive night. Cullen scored a game-high 22 points, added five assists and grabbed five rebounds. Point guard Angie Soriaga '06 poured in 18 points, while Taylor contributed 16 points. Kamara came off the bench to score 10 points for the second time in as many games.

The Big Green completed 48.2 percent of all field goal attempts and 90.5 percent of attempts from the charity line.

Meagan Cowher led Princeton with 22 points and nine rebounds, while teammate Becky Brown added 12 points and seven boards to the effort.

Taylor and Cullen are among four Ivy League women's basketball players named to the CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America) Academic All-District teams this year. Both honorees earned spots on the third team and are psychology majors.

Brown's Sarah Hayes and Harvard's Shana Franklin were named to the second and third teams, respectively.

Dartmouth takes on Yale (2-19, 1-7 Ivy) and Brown (13-8, Ivy) next weekend as the Big Green continues the second part of a two-week road trip before returning home to Leede Arena.

Brown is second in the league, with only one loss -- to Dartmouth. The Bears will look to use home court advantage in hopes of defeating the Big Green. Yale's only league victory this season came against the Quakers and is an unlikely challenger to Dartmouth's league championship and NCAA hopes.