Women's basketball on the road to Ivy League sweep

This weekend is crucial for the Big Green (14-4, 5-0 Ivy). If Dartmouth can knock off both opponents in their home gyms, another Ivy League championship title and an NCAA Tournament bid might not be very far down the road. However, to maintain that perfect mark, the Big Green must win away from the friendly confines of Leede Arena for the first time against League competition.

"This weekend will be a huge test for us," guard Jeannie Cullen '06 said. "It's our first weekend on the road and both teams are very tough to play on their home court."

Earlier this week, Cullen was named Ivy League Player of the Week for the second time this season after picking up 42 points over the weekend against Cornell and Columbia. The senior sharpshooter also tied the school record for most three-pointers per game by going five-of-five on Saturday night against the Lions.

Cullen has received this award three times in her Dartmouth career and last received the Player of the Week honor in January after an explosive 35-point performance against the Harvard Crimson.

"It's good to get the Player of the Week award again after two big wins," said the senior. "I had a good weekend shooting the ball and just want to keep getting better and improve my overall game. Hopefully I can do that this weekend and the team can come away with two more wins."

On Friday night, the Big Green will take on the UPenn Quakers at the famed Palestra. Dartmouth is leading the all-time series 30-22 and defeated the Quakers 64-49 in their last encounter in March 2005.

The Quakers are on a four-game losing streak and are currently ranked sixth in the Ivy League, having defeated only Columbia in League play this year. The 2004 Ivy champions are no longer in the race for this year's crown.

After the trip to Philadelphia, Dartmouth travels to Princeton, N.J., on Saturday night to take on the Tigers in a battle of Ivy heavyweights at Jadwin Gym. Even after last weekend's 49-47 loss to Brown, Princeton is probably the Big Green's most fearsome challenger in League play. In what amounts to a critical game, a second Ivy loss for the Tigers could devastate their title hopes.

The Tiger that the Big Green specifically needs to watch out for is Princeton's 6'3" senior Becky Brown. Brown is averaging 15.3 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and is 66.1 percent accurate from the field. However, only two Princeton players, including Brown, average better than 10 points per game compared to four Dartmouth players in double figures and Sydney Scott '08 just a hair shy at 9.6 points per game.

The Big Green leads the historical series 36-17 and has also won nine of the last 10 contests against the Tigers. But rather than focus on those nine victories, it's that one loss that could spoil a perfect Ivy League season that the Dartmouth women want to make sure they do not overlook.

"Princeton is a very balanced team," Cullen said. "They are very similar to us in many ways. They have people who can step up and play big games and also people who can come off the bench to contribute."

Sure, Princeton sophomore Meagan Cowher's father Bill led the Pittsburgh Steelers to a Super Bowl victory last Sunday, but will his daughter be able to help the Tigers to a win over the Ivy League's top dogs? The Big Green hopes that hard work and a balanced output can prevent another Cowher celebration.

"We're expecting two very challenging games next weekend, so we're going to work very hard this week to prepare," said forward Darcy Rose '09. "We will have to play well as a team for two back-to-back games and we will need everyone to contribute."

Friday night's match-up is set for a 7 p.m. start, while Saturday's contest will feature an earlier tip-off at 6 p.m.