Police Blotter

Nov. 19, South Main Street, 12:45 a.m.

A police officer on patrol investigated two males near The Dartmouth Bookstore after the officer observed one of them kick a plastic soda crate into the middle of the road. No action was taken.

Nov. 21, North Main Street, 2:49 a.m.

Safety and Security asked Hanover Police for assistance with an intoxicated, naked male in the Novack Cafe bathroom. The 23-year-old man had refused to identify himself to Safety and Security, but identified himself to the police. The man, a student at the Thayer School of Engineering, explained to police that he had passed out while using the toilet, but did not explain why he had taken his clothes off. His clothes were with him in the stall. Officers turned the graduate student over to a sober roommate.

Nov. 22, Tuck Mall, 12:09 a.m.

Hanover Police responded to a complaint that an intoxicated female was being uncooperative with Safety and Security officers in Gile Hall. After police arrived, the Dartmouth freshman refused to get off the floor, and the officers present subsequently pulled her up and handcuffed her. After being arrested for unlawful possession of alcohol, the girl vomited several times in the booking room of the police station, prompting the police to transport her to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Nov. 27, Crosby Street,

4:19 a.m.

An officer came upon a vehicle stopped in the northbound lane of Crosby Street, blocking the road. The officer approached and noticed that the vehicle's operator had blood-shot, watery eyes and smelled of alcohol. There were three other male passengers in the car, who suddenly jumped out of the vehicle and fled on foot. The officer at the scene called the police station for assistance. Following the incident, a police cruiser noticed the three suspects walking between Leverone Field House and the baseball field. When the three spotted the cruiser, they ran and attempted to hurdle a rope fence. Two of them succeeded, but one tripped on the rope and was caught. Police arrested the 17-year-old Norwich, Vt. native for resisting arrest, unlawful possession of alcohol by consumption and possession of tobacco by a minor. Police also arrested the driver, 17-year-old Orion Alden of Stratford, Vt., for driving while intoxicated and possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle.

Dec. 4, Occom Ridge Road, 12:08 a.m.

Police received a report that a pick-up truck had slid off the road, down an embankment and had come to rest on a large tree stump. Officers arrived at the scene and suspected that the female driver, 45-year-old Carol Rittenhouse, was intoxicated. They confirmed their suspicions with a roadside sobriety test and arrested Rittenhouse with driving under the influence of alcohol.

Dec. 6, Wentworth Street, 10:02 p.m.

Safety and Security informed Hanover Police that an unwelcome man was trespassing in Baker Library. When police got to the library, the man had already left. Officers eventually caught up to the suspect in downtown Hanover. A policeman asked him to stop, but instead he fled into traffic. The officer grabbed him, struggled with him briefly in the street but eventually gained control and arrested the 40-year-old Vermont native for resisting arrest. Police still do not know how the man wore out his welcome at the library.

Dec. 15, Allen Street, 6:44 p.m.

A female passerby called Hanover Police to inform them that she had smelled marijuana coming from a parked car. Officers arrived and found that the 24-year-old driver, whose young son and dog were also in the car, was in possession of the suspected drug. Police arrested him for possession of marijuana, booked and released him. The man's child stayed with him throughout the process.

Dec. 15, Prospect Street, 10:59 p.m.

Police observed a vehicle without its headlights on speed through a stop sign. The officers eventually got the driver to stop. Upon searching the car, officers found an open 12-pack of Budweiser beer. Police arrested Eric Grote for driving under the influence of alcohol and transporting open containers of alcohol, along with running a stop sign.