Schechtman leads for men's tennis

It just wouldn't be the Big Green Invitational if a Dartmouth player didn't make it to the final match. Jeff Schechtman '08 did not disappoint.

After vanquishing opponents from Rutgers and Harvard, Schechtman found himself in the A singles championship match against Harvard's Chris Clayton. The Highland Park, Ill., native proceeded to fight valiantly in the final round, but ultimately fell to Clayton 7-5, 6-3.

Before that loss, Schechtman put together an impressive run in the tournament, defeating Rutgers' Gordon Milchutsky in efficient fashion (6-3, 6-1) in the opening round, Harvard's Mike Kalfayan in the quarterfinals (6-7, 6-1, 10-3) and the Crimson's Nick Savage (6-3, 7-6 [5]).

With the victories, Schechtman clearly proved his worth as Dartmouth's No. 1.

The Big Green represented their invitational with an even more dominating performance in B singles. The championship match featured an all-Dartmouth contest between Robbie Lim '08 and Dave Steinberg '08.

After easily disposing of New Hampshire's Brett Teolis (6-1, 6-1), Lim scored the bracket's biggest upset, toppling number one-seeded Scott Blumenkrantz of Brown to reach the semis. Steinberg glided smoothly through the bracket as well, setting up a no-lose situation for the Big Green in the final. The match took place too late for this issue.