Please Treat Your Frat Dogs Well

To the Editor:

As one of the founders of the developing Dartmouth Animal Welfare Group, I speak for the group when I say that we took issue with Amanda Dobbins' representation of the life of a frat dog ("Mommy, If a Fratboy Can Have a Dog, So Can I," Nov. 4).

To be clear, we don't think that these dogs are abused; we're not going to stage a breakout operation; and we are by no means a fledgling PETA chapter. Indeed, the sight of content, well cared for animals on campus is part of Dartmouth's charm -- and part of the reason why one of our group's campaigns is to expand the pet policy in college owned buildings.

All the same, we feel that the article painted too rosy a picture of the frat dog situation. Amanda Dobbins was dismissive of some very valid concerns that we and others have regarding animal welfare.

Despite precautions, accidents and lapses in responsibility have led to these dogs lapping up spilled beer and escaping from fraternity properties, as well as isolated cases of neglect.

We're not interested in blaming the Greek system, but we are interested in having a high animal welfare standard on campus. Thank you for at least making it part of the campus discussion.