Three-day frat rush kicks off Saturday night

While sophomore women strut from sorority to sorority for women's rush, sophomore men will face a less regimented process this weekend. Fraternity rush begins Saturday evening and will last three days as potential members of fraternities visit organizations of their choice between 7 and 9 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Prospective fraternity members may visit as many or as few houses as they like during the first two nights of rush, with the option of shaking out at one house at the end of each evening. At 9 p.m. on both nights, the brothers of each fraternity line up on the sidewalk and potential members may shake their hands, signifying a strong interest in joining the house. Rushees who shake out are not obliged to join the fraternity.

Fraternity members hand out bids at the end of the night on Saturday and Sunday, and rushees may sign their bid cards at any point, indicating a commitment to join. On Monday evening, fraternity members mingle with potential new members who have been called back.

The main difference between men's and women's rush involves the number of houses visited. While women are required to visit all six sororities during the first round, men may visit as few houses as they wish.

"I think there are a lot of males who say, 'I'm kind of teetering between two or three groups,'" said Megan Johnson, assistant director of the co-ed, fraternity and sorority administration, adding that these men have the option of visiting only the houses at which they would like to be members.

Many sophomores prefer the relaxed and simple nature of men's rush to the hectic week-long tour-de-campus of women's rush.

"I don't envy the girls," Benjamin Davis '08 said. "The men's rush process seems much shorter and simpler."

While it is difficult to gauge the turnout for men's rush because sophomores are not required to sign up beforehand, some say this year will see more students rushing than last year.

"I'd say we'd expect more [rushees] just because the Greek system is growing every year," said Terry Cunningham '06, president of the Interfraternity Council.

Last year was the first time since 2000 that men's rush was held during Fall term instead of Winter term. Next year, Johnson hopes to hold an information session for men who are planning to rush, similar to the pre-rush information sessions for women, so that potential rushees can learn more about the process.

Some sophomores were hopeful for such a meeting that would demystify the rush process.

"At this point, I still don't know that much about it," Davis said.